• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper Introduction

sam24th

NAXJA Forum User
We'll seeing as how Ive been kinda wandering around for the past month or so on this forum I thought Id give a proper introduction of myself here.

My name is Sam, and I live in Charlotte, NC. Im currently a student so I dont really have a lot of cash. My jeep addiction started with a 2.5L YJ wrangler until I blew the engine on it.

pics of the YJ after I painted and put new top and rims on it.
DSC03404.jpg

DSC03406.jpg

I then went out and bought me a 1990 XJ laredo which someone had swapped in a 2wd transmission and sold my wrangler to fund the XJ purchase.

Day one of me owning the XJ.
DSC03470.jpg

DSC03471.jpg

The money pit begins....

So first thing I did was buy me a roof rack for it off of craigslist. Then I added a rear ladder on the hatch and then added a spare tire mount that I modified from a bronco to fit. After that I went out and replaced the POS muffler with a magnaflow muffler. And then added a 2inch liftkit. I also added a CB radio and new CD player aswell as an overhead console from a junkyard jeep. I also bought me a 4wd transmission aswell as the Tcase just waiting to swap it.

Next plans:
-Fix the 4wd (gotta wait or get some help because this is my daily driver)
-New front bumper/winch
-4.5 inch lift kit
-33inch tires
-bushwackers

Heres pics of what it currently looks like. (Last pic was before the lift, I just installed the lift today)
DSC03776.jpg

DSC03710.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I have my hatched reinforced kinda. I added some metal bars (not sure what to call them) that I got from homedepot, they are about an 1/8th inch thick and welded them up and slipped it between the 2 layers of fiberglass that make up the hatch and bolted it to the inside using some bolts. Then I mounted the ladder and rear tiremount piece that holds the tiremount on the back to the metal frame I created. The metal frame itself is bolted to the hatch hinges and fiberglass. My GF uses the ladder frequently and have yet to have any problems with it. I have also used it a few times. I wouldnt put anyone over 160lbs on it though.

EDIT: BTW does anyone know whether one of these transmission jacks from harbor freight would work ok. I just need one to use to swap out the transmission I got for a 4wd one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/transmission-jacks.html

Last edited:
Welcome...thanks for the intro. 1 problem we have with you....what you did isn't a proper intro here on NAXJA.org.

We prefer you take us all out for a good BBQ dinner, a wheelin' trip (o ya and you must wash all XJ's when were done). Ooooo almost forgot...you pay for drinks too. Now that's an intro!!

Kidding, welcome to the club and the SEC. Hope you enjoy it like we all do!!

Steve

Welcome! Where are you going to school at in Charlotte? Just graduated from UNCC myself. Still live in the University area but that looks to be changing in the next couple of weeks.

There's a few of us that routinely get together for food, beers, or just to BS. Keep an eye out for us!

I could go for a wrench fest one weekend :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. Currently Im going to CPCC at the Levine campus. I might be transferring to UNCC next year though. Id be up for a wrenchfest sometime.

Welcome aboard! one of these days I'll shoot you the pics..:doh:

Thanks for the warm welcome. Currently Im going to CPCC at the Levine campus. I might be transferring to UNCC next year though. Id be up for a wrenchfest sometime.

Sweet! What field of study? I'm currently working in Indian Trail...go up and down Old Monroe Rd. every day...right near that CPCC campuc.

Im studying to be an engineer. I took some courses at CPCC for 3d modeling and design such as CAD. I also took a course in photography at CPCC while I was in HS just because I was interested in stuff like that and my HS paid for it.

Im studying to be an engineer. I took some courses at CPCC for 3d modeling and design such as CAD. I also took a course in photography at CPCC while I was in HS just because I was interested in stuff like that and my HS paid for it.

Thats cool. I'm an enginerd as well lol. What area of engineering?

Im trying to get into design engineering, but Im also gonna do mechanical aswell.

Back