• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Better picture of the engine bay:
B3488634-F858-48ED-8924-94F09D278CD2_zpsrdt2m63a.jpg

My setup came with this gas pedal. I already know I'm going to have a hell of a time modifying it to work...
E0040496-A2D9-48AC-AE2D-7847A601C43A_zpsa3chxsd4.jpg

It fits way easier than you think. Just shorten the pedal arm, and bend the bottom of the bracket to fit. Took me 10 minutes to get mine sorted .

Your bay is muuuch prettier than mine.

It fits way easier than you think. Just shorten the pedal arm, and bend the bottom of the bracket to fit. Took me 10 minutes to get mine sorted.

Yes, the pedal is super easy. I think it was the upper, but I used one of the factory mounting holes and only drilled one to make it work.

Yea after staring at it for a while I realized what I'll probably do. At first I didn't realize what the hinge was for (adjustable pedal height).

But one thing. Is it just me or does it seem like there's not a whole lot of pedal travel. I'm going to measure it when I get home today. But it only looked like a few inches...

So some plus' about the engine I have...

1: Return-less fuel system. I'll probably run a walbro 255 in tank pump with a corvette filter/regulator

2: This motor is CLEAN. Coolant was clean and spark plugs show no sign of overheating.

Got the harness and some of the accessories stripped off. I'm going to pick up an engine stand so I can get everything painted before it goes in the Jeep.

So I think something's up with my transfer case. But I do t know what...

So an SYE is supposed to be fixed yolk. My yolk is moving in/out about 1/2"
In

Out

is this normal?

Last edited:
1999 NP231 with AA SYE and AA 27 spline input shaft for 4l60e

There are no lock rings retaining the output shaft. There's the lock rings for the speedo gear, but that's it.

There should be a lock ring on the rear output right after the output bearing.
Shown here, with the lock ring not installed. Almost exactly 1/2" of lateral play if you forget to install it.
e8f821945e595f954112187cfd13d257.jpg
7e041787802341f6f553d3f3e6a2c702.jpg

His SYE has a different housing with a different setup.

But there is usually some kind of lock-ring inside, or a lip on the shaft, or a lockring outside the pump, or something to immobilize the shaft when the housing is installed.

I'm dumb. The actual nut on the yolk is what locks the output shaft in place. so the nut actually gets tight long before engaging all threads. The nut gets tightened to 150 ft lbs. there's no way I'm getting that on the bench. So the 150 lbs actually engaged all threads. so I took apart the entire case to finally realize my mistake about 2 hours later...

Yea so that's that

Got the transfer case all buttoned up today. I was able to torque the shaft to 100lvs and all play went away.
02D74B99-8A3D-4079-AD79-B87FD6303F89_zpsybqdqhnn.jpg

Also took off the valve covers. There is some gunkiness on them, but it looks good.
EDDCAEB2-2D01-4153-A8D2-C5176CCAC09C_zpsqls8tvyw.jpg

327642E7-D03B-45D6-876B-7CC83F9EC713_zpso5ldpzep.jpg

Back