• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project XJ Overland

If money is no object, go chromoly steel. More strength less weight.

probably one of the biggest misconceptions with chromoly steel. it does NOT weigh any less than other grades of steel tubing. how this came about was fabricators would build a chassis from chromoly but use a thinner walled tubing. then claim it weighs less than a mild steel built chassis. i wont go into the technical stuff because it is quite lengthy, but basically, chromoly has a higher tensile strength than mild steel. meaning it will not BEND as much as mild steel will with the same amount of force given. but it will fracture before mild steel does. especially around a weld that was not annealed properly afterwards to regain the tensile strength the chromoly tubing had before the weld. both mild steel and chromoly have their purposes and uses. for areas of little to no flex, chromoly is proffered. especially if a certain tensile strength is needed, you could use a thinner walled chromoly to save weight. for the DIYer chromoly is pretty much a waste of money unless you plan to have the welded areas annealed afterwards.

I have been playing around with MS Paint over the past couple of days trying to get an idea of how I want the finished product to look...

Here is a picture I downloaded from the net... I chose it because it has the amount of lift I want and in general is about as close as I can get to what I virtually want.

803060_76_full.jpg

Version one is to stick with the square headlights

803060.jpg

Still working on a round headlight rendering

Not to be a dick, but that's going to look terrible.

The Willys grill isnt even close to anything that would look good on an xj.

I like what that one guy did on here, round headlights on a 97+ clip.

But that looks BAD

I wish you all the luck, you're going to need it. I am afraid that you are going to be spending much time and money for very little return, at best. Worst is that you ruin your XJ. There are many things you could do to your XJ to make it a real head turner and off road beast. So before you cut, think.

I have been doing a lot more thinking on this and have a few better ideas... such as removing the front fenders and just building my flat fenders in place of the oem ones.

Back