• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Cheap Xj

Im still trying to figure out a good way to get some front recovery points on here. I also found out that the mixture of tires that i had on didnt work on ice really at all.

So i put my snow tires back on, and now im looking at some other sets of tires. I may be picking up some goodyear duratracks in the near future to replace the 2 MTRs and the 2 ElDorado all terrains, and i will finally have a matching set.

Heres how the poor girl is sitting. It looks like such a baby, like i shaved off its beard or something :(

So a good friend of mine made me a proposition... He said he will sell me these 15" Grizzly wheels and 31x10.50x15s BFG ATs that have 50% tread left for $300. The wheels are mint and there's not a scratch on them. They are sitting in his garage ready to go about 15 miles from me.

They would look pretty gnarly on my xj... I just need a push that I should do it, and go get them tomorrow.

Oh and my new hatch struts came today! So I get to put those on, put the new radiator in, find the cause of my massive vibration from the rear at 20-40mph, and maybe put my new wheels and tires on.....

Well I did it. I picked up those wheels and tires, and also got some rugged Ridge tow points with plates! And I replaced my rear hatch struts. No more stick to hold it open!

I also replaced both my rear u-joints, the vibration is better, but it's still there...

Im also getting quite the Jeep tire collection.... Good thing my wife is understanding.

These are the front recovery points that i got for $25. They are made for the XJ, so hopefully the install will be pretty painless (other than my bent bumper mount on the passenger side). They will be going in as soon as i figure out my vibration issues...

I finally got my shims installed this morning. It's not 100%, but it's a ton better. I can still feel a small vibration at 20-40, but it's not nearly as bad. I still have to get it out on the highway and see how it does.

So the vibration is still there. It's not horrible, I can hear it more than I can feel it.

I also checked the load carrying capabilities. It handled it well, but I'm slightly concerned about my rear shackles. When loaded down, the rear shackles are hitting the frame. If I move my leafs down a notch, will that correct this, or make it worse?

I need to get this figured out before spring so that I can haul the camper with my family in it and I don't want to have to worry about it.

It still shakes like a beotch, and it barely turns over now. I definitely need a starter, and maybe the hack n tap. Oh and I may need to go an inch taller in the front too lol.

I may throw the t-case drop in this weekend, just to help the issue until I can get the SYE or hack n tap.

It's getting there though!

Well, I can almost pinpoint it being the starter now. My battery is definitely good, and now it just clicks down at the starter. I tapped it with a hammer, and it turned over so slow that it still wouldn't start.

The interior lights did not dim at all when the starter clicked.

I should be getting the new starter in tomorrow night.

I got the new starter in, so at least it's mobile again.

I pulled the front driveshaft, since it seemed like my yoke was a little loose, but that made no difference. Ugh, I just need to pull those shims out and get that transfer case drop in to get rid of this nasty vibration. I'm getting sick of not being able to drive this thing.

I finally installed my t-case drop this morning. I was surprised that the bolts came out with only hand tools, and the stud came out fairly easily with some heat from the torch.

The vibration is still there at 65 or so, but it's barely even noticeable. It's a thousand times better now, and I think it will be 100% as soon as I remove those rear shims. But for now, I'm calling it good!

She's getting there, and I'm really happy with how it looks! I may go a notch down on the rear shackles though. She's got about 3/4" of rake.

I scored a few parts from a buddy of mine today. I got a new extended rear brake line, an adjustable track bar, and some 4" coil springs and 2" coil spacers. He went to a 6.5" long arm, so he is donating his old stuff to me. Now i just have to figure out how in going to raise the rear another couple of inches....

Well I sold my Grizzly wheels, and had to put my moabs back on until I get my new set of wheels and tires.

I also signed up for the Crawl for the Cure today. It's a big MN event 3 hours North of me on the range. My wife and little man are coming with, and my wife is super excited! Now I just have to get this thing trail worthy, and make sure it'll make it 3 hours each way hauling the camper.

I will be working on the following shortly to get it ready for July:

Extended brake lines
More lift (an inch or so) at least to make it level
Cb radio
Fire extinguisher
Install my front tow points
New wheels and tires
Possibly cut and fold my fenders
Replace radiator/do coolant flush
Install hack n tap
Weld in frame reinforcements
Possibly quick disconnects for the front sway bar
Install my cargo basket
New cat back exhaust

There's also a big Jeep swap meet next weekend that I will be attending. I'm hoping I can pick up some much needed parts there.

I went to the mn4wd swap meet today, and scored a brand new IRO hack n tap for $25!! I just hope my np231 is a 27 spline. If not, it's only $25 lol.

I also got a new track bar, longer rear shackles, 2" coil spacers, and 4" front coils for free from a buddy of mine that went there with me.

I guess it's time to break out the spring compressor and take some measurements to figure out the right combination to use, and get to work!

Well I made the few hour drive yesterday, and finally got to meet Mr. Xj-Jake, and pick up those wheels and tires from him.

On the way home, I stopped at caribou, and sat in line for like 20 minutes. When I was sitting there, my temp gauge kept bouncing between 0 and 210 for some reason. As I left, I noticed clouds of smoke coming off the rear, and it got what looks to be oil or something all over my rear hatch....

My coolant is in dire need of a flush, and it looks like mud. So I'm hoping it was something to do with that.... I need to get it in the garage and work on the lift, and swap wheels and tires and flush the coolant and see what happens.

Here's her new shoes

Here's the mess on my rear hatch....

Well, i got my new tires and wheels on last night. I love how they look, but i kind of wish they were a couple of inches bigger.... I will rock them for the time being though, i think they might grow on me.

I also crawled under it and saw that its got a major oil leak. Thats more than likely where my puff of smoke was coming from the other day. I still dont know if something got hot and leaked, or if i have something pouring out somewhere.....

And im embarrassed to post this, but this is why my coolant neesd to be flushed asap....

Well I think I can safely say I've found my leak.... I checked tonight, and the drivers rear corner looks to have alot of fresh oil coming out of it, and dripping down the block, and under it, dripping off my bell housing and right onto the exhaust. It has also coated my front driveshaft in oil.

I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Back