• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro Comp Tires

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
What is the general consensus on them? 4wp is having a pretty good sale on them tomorrow,
http://www.4wheelparts.com/stores/s...utm_medium=bronto&utm_campaign=03-13-09_store

I'm thinking of getting 33x12.50 15 Ats, as this is my only DD.

My other question is that my family and friends in SoCal have been planning a trip to the Rubicon that I might go on Mid-summer would these be a bad tire to have, should i get the MTs (only about a $60 difference overall) or just go with a different brand?

TIA
Daniel

I had some ProComp M/Ts (32's) on my rig when I bought it.

They were pretty worn, and worn unevenly. They still had hella traction, though. I took her up to LBL after a rain and I always had forward momentum, even in 6" of mud.

If I was lookin' for another mud tire, I would run them again.

I gave them to High2by, I think he wanted them for rollers.

That being said, a buddy of mine is running Wrangler MT/Rs on his Rover, and one of our trucks at work have them too (plus all the Army). Very beefy, but pretty quiet on road. I heard that they can be hard to balance, but my buddy runs beads and has no issues. If I had my choice, I'd get these ones.

Last edited:
ive never owned them, but ive had a few friends run them, they are good on the trails but they didnt seem to last them. Like i said, ive never run them but with those 3 people i knew, would never buy them again.

One thing that concerns me about Procomp tires are all the issues I read about them a few years back.

I may just wait until I'm back to CA because I know of a few places that can give me some great deals.

What issues?

I ran mine on interstate. Other than being uneven, I didn't have any issues, FWIW.

Mostly bubbling up really bad or "de-treading" and 4wp didn't want to warranty the tires, but they might have already fixed those problems.

I run 33X12.5 XTerrains on the Wrangler. I've never had an issue except affording them ;)

I was wheeling with a buddy last year, and I sliced up a tire real bad. He permanently loaned me a used pair of 31X10.50 MTs to get back home. No problems with those either, very smooth, infact much better than the tires which got cut up!

I've been running 31" M/T's for two years now. I'd say they're decent for the price. They've outperformed my buddy's 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on a couple occassions, specifically in the snow. I rotate them every two or three oil changes and they seem to be wearing fairly evenly. I'd rather not have to deal with 4wheelparts. Their sales are questionable, I think they raise the price for 3 tires and give you the 4th free so you might save $40-$60 but your not getting a free tire. For my next set of tires I'm thinking Trxxus M/T's or Maxxis Bighorns for a comparible priced tire.

i hope you like BWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAWAWAAWAWAWAWAWAWAAAAA

every procomp tire ive had has ben super loud. btu then again i like loud tires :D

I ran the Pro Comp MT's. No problems on the trail. They seemed to need rotation often, very hard composition and I referred to them as my surround sound system, radio was useless. Running the Cooper STT's now and have my radio and hearing back.

I've run ProComp tires for many years, went through 2 sets of 35" Muds and I LOVE THOSE TIRES!!! I loved them off road, on road, in the snow - loved everything about 'em. Not a noisy tire at all in my opinion, and the ProComp AT's will certainly be quieter. FWIW, I had them on my "hardcore" rig at the time so they got severely used on the rocks - they held up right there along with the MTR's and in my opinion, the softer sidewall allowed them to grip better at more reasonable air pressures (meaning, ya don't need bead locks since MTR's only work well between 6-10 psi) you can keep the Pro Comps at 12-18 off road and do beautifully.

Yeah, they do go to their normal MSRP pricing for the buy 3 get one free deal, but I went in there and bought both of my sets of tires during those promotions, told them I knew what they were up to and basically demanded that they live up to their advertising...... and they did. Look up the price per tire before the promotional price and tell them that's the price you expect to pay.

I highly recommend ProComps for DD rigs. :thumbup:

i run the 33x12.50 x terrains on my mj. they do pretty well even though they have barely 1/4'' of tread on them. they do good in rocks, mud and dry stuff. i've had them in 6'' deep mud when they had about 50% tread and they did pretty good. overall, its a good tire. not in the packed down snow though. i drove through about 2 feet of fresh wet snow and had no problems. if i cound afford them, i would get them again. i got 4 with about 50% tred for 250 bucks.

i have 31/10.50's extreme muds on mine and i love them. i think they are quiet for a mud tire and they stick to rocks like glue, but don't really like the mud too much. i have about half the tread left huge chunks missing deep cuts in my side wall and they are still holding strong and balanced.

My roommate runs 33x12.50 Xterrains. I was skeptical at first but after going with him a number of times I am pretty impressed with them offroad. They definitely are load and the wear isn't the greatest, but their prices are usually pretty low.

I've been running the 31x1050 Xtreme AT's for about 100 miles so far and have no real complaints (all driving has been on street). They are a little loud but I haven't noticed any unusual wear and have not had my alignment done yet after my lift appointment is next week.

I like em. Running the AT's. They are quieter on the street then the BFG AT's FWIW.

Back