• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Primer Question for paint guru's

mpro1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

Any paint guys out there that could recommend a primer.........I am going to prime over well sanded factory paint, then top coat with Nason ful-thane single stage .....I would like to use a Med/High build sand-able primer...There are so many different systems I'm just not sure what to use........My main objective is durability.......Any suggestions would be appreciated......

Thanks

PS I tried to post this in paint forum....but wouldn't allow.....not sure why?

If you're painting over an existing coat that you've already scuffed up, you don't really need a primer (the scuffed coat acts as a primer for you.)

You really only need a primer when you're painting bare metal - the primer helps with adhesion of the colour coat (although the primer it itself porous. That's why a rimer is never a final coat!)

You mention a "buildable" primer, and I don't know enough about those to help you there. You may want to try to find a local automotive paint supplier (one that caters to area body shops) and ask them - they'll likely carry what works, because body shops would gripe about what doesn't, and they'd respond accordingly.

HTH!

As was stated, a high build primer is not necessary when painting over an existing topcoat. The surface should be smooth enough as is, and in fact another extra coat of primer is overkill, and might even cause problems later on such as cracking.

I'd spot prime any bare metal where there are sand-throughs, then shoot the urethane SS directly over the existing paint.

Urethane is nasty stuff, so observe precautions when handling and spraying it. Remember the isocyanates it contains can be absorbed through eye contact, so wear full face protection along with a supplied air system.

See if you can get some DuPont VelvaSeal. As was stated above, you don't really need primer over paint, but the velvaseal helps battle any little incompatibilities between the original paint and the new coating - you will get great adhesion and a nice even finish. It is really great stuff, but I think the VOC police got it off the shelves here in California.

:patriot:Thanks for all the replies..........I will do the spot priming on the areas that I did some metal work......I will ask the paint store about a sealer as recommended(sometimes they just want to sell stuff even when not needed) .....Thanks for the advise on VOC's......I have Sprayed the Nason ful-thane before with great success on equipment ect, and did use VOC respirator & paint-suit for protection......On the equipment that I sprayed I ruffed top coat and sprayed directly over it......It looked real nice and held up fairly well....the only issue it seemed to "rock chip" abit.......I was wondering if the primer would help with that since i will be using it on a Jeep?:patriot:

Back