• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pressure Gauge on Transmission cooler line

You can have very high pressure and very low flow, so that's not much of an indicator.

right...
i was just thinking that because there is no valve or anything on the 3/8" return line right before it goes into the pan (also being that there is a breather tube on the AW4) that the psi would be rather low being that the flow is slow

maybe i am wrong, not sure, i am real tired right now

also, 20 psi would pop the check level stick out of the tube, right?

Last edited:
right...
i was just thinking that because there is no valve or anything on the 3/8" return line right before it goes into the pan (also being that there is a breather tube on the AW4) that the psi would be rather low being that the flow is slow

The top of the stick isn't subject to fluid pressure - just air pressure overtop of the fluid. And, there's a vent for the air pressure at the top of the case behind the bell, so that's not anything that will come into play (unless there are larger problems.)

You can have high pressure and low flow, or you can have high flow and low pressure, or both high, or both low - it all depends on the "local" conditions to the test point. That's what makes it a bit difficult to predict, and why I figured that a flowmeter would be more useful there anyhow. Besides, you can have pressure without flow - that's what happens in the water mains! You have ~50psig in the pipes all the time, but nothing flows until you open the valve. It's called "dead-head" pressure, and is also how pumps are rated for pressure development (there's "dead-head" pressure, then there's pressure at a given flow rate. The two are somewhat interrelated, and in somewhat the same way as "voltage" and "current" in an electrical circuit (I know I said they're separate quantities, but they're still related. Yeah, I know...))

right...

man, i don't know what i was thinking....i was really out of it at that moment.

the pump is sucking the fluid out of the pan as the same rate it is pushing it back in, so the overall pressure in the pan is 0, therefore no pressure being exerted on the fill/ check tube.....and in my hazy daze at the time of my last post i don't really know what i meant by stating the presence of the breather tube (guilty of WWI = writing while impaired)

i am still looking for a good flow meter to put into the system...once i (or if) find something, i will post it.

i am still guessing the psi in the cooler lines is rather low...not 40psi or so...as stated before...however that's just me guessing

thanks for all the thoughts.

Last edited:
Back