• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-'91 Safari Snorkel and CARB approval

SARgroundpounder

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody from CA know if installing a Safari Snorkel on a pre-'91 will pass the visual smog inspection?

I just noticed that there is a heated air valve on the portion of the airbox that is to be removed for the snorkel install.

I am exchanging emails with ARB USA looking for a CARB number. They say one isn't needed, but I'm not sure that holds true for the pre-'91's.

SARgroundpounder
'89 Laredo, 5-speed, RE 4.5", 31" MTR's, D44 rear, non-disconnect d30 front, 4.10's, ARB's F&R, XJ-Armor rails, Hanson front bumper, MileMarker 10500 hydraulic winch, C4x4 rear bumper & tirecarrier, Borla header, Flowmaster 2-chamber...

Do what some of us have done......"borrow" a pre-91 CARB number from another product to affix to your vehicle. There are a couple of valid CARB EO#'s for 87-91 vehicles floating around out there.

EO#577 comes to mind.

CRASH

The list of reasons to hate California should be enough to fill a book.

The CARB website that lists all of the EO's says the exact EO can be looked up by every smog station.

ARB-USA says there is no CARB number and that one isn't needed, but my FSM list the Thermostatic Air Cleaner (TAC) as part of the emissions equipment.

I was hoping there was somebody on this list that has already crossed this bridge. :rattle:

I guess I'll move to Colorado.

Yes, when the smog station looks up your EO, it comes up with a general description of the product. For instance, "Air intake with filter, 1987-1991 Cherokee." The smog guys don't get a picture of the setup, just a description. IF your setup os close enough to the description, they don't hassle you. An ARB snorkel may be a little far fetched, but until you try it, you'll never know.

Don't buy the nonsense from the Down Under boyz. If the smog guy doesn't see the thermostatic hot air pick up, he will fail you.

CRASH

Lupine said:
Don't buy the nonsense from the Down Under boyz. If the smog guy doesn't see the thermostatic hot air pick up, he will fail you.CRASH
I agree, When I got my '90 2 years ago it had on an air tube and cone filter(registered in Utah) and they immediately flagged me and made me go get a stock airbox. I then came back with it and they again sent me home requireing the hot air pick-up hose to be connected from the exhaust manafold to the air box for the emmission control system before they would even test it. As far as I know there isn't any air tube that is CARB certified for a '90 and older air intake.
Because '90 and older airboxes have the the emmisions system tied into the airbox you cant change anything on them or you won't pass. Besides you couldn't seal up the airbox properly with that requirement which would make putting a snorkel on an even bigger posuer mod because it wouldn't even be functional.

It looks like I might have a snorkel for sale if I can't find a solution.

Nuts. I do search & rescue and I was really expecting to use that thing. We get called to evacuate people from flooded areas ...plus I wanted it for Fordyce.

Thanks all!

I recently affixed a homebrew snorkel to my '88. I sealed off the front of the air box, and ran the intake through the side. I did see that hot air thingy (very technical terminology here...), but figured it didn't do much since there was so much debris and dust from wheeling that it was siezed in place. I'm thinking of just taking the snorkel off when I go to have it smogged, covvering up the hole in the side of my fender as best I can, and hope that they don't notice the hole in the side of the air box. I'll probably do something so that it doesn't look so much like a hole.

I'm hoping the hole is far enough down that it doesn't catch their eye...

insideenginecompartment.jpg

Unless they actually take the top off the box, take the filter out, and look inside, I think I'll probably be safe.

airboxinside.jpg

I go to get smogged in March, so I'll let you know how it goes. I plan on moving back to the Ohio by the end of the year anyway. I can't take it out here anymore...

Here's a possible solution...

Steve at XJ-Armor make the ONLY RENIX airtube I've seen with a CARB # (He's in Menlo Park, so call him and pick it up) and you can probably adapt your snorkel to that.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything that would work offhand. Since you're in SJ, perhaps we should meet up somewhere and see how to make the thing fly? I'm planning on getting one or two of his airtubes myself once I get some readies ready...

Once the airtube itself is cleared, once you show the snorkel is only redirecting the air into the filter (from higher up than the OEM location) you should be fine.

5-90

Failing that, I've got a stock 87 airbox assy you can borrow to get smogged - and just put the snorkel back after you're done. Let me know...

5-90

go to pick-n-pull and get another air box. i just swap my air box when smog comes up. it also makes me clean my air filter...... i do clean it more that once every 2yrs. :D

5-90 said:
Here's a possible solution...

Steve at XJ-Armor make the ONLY RENIX airtube I've seen with a CARB # (He's in Menlo Park, so call him and pick it up) and you can probably adapt your snorkel to that.

I think we're close to a solution! Thanks!

Now, I need to find an airfilter solution. I either need to replace the ram-air intake of the snorkel with an 1) exposed K&N filter, or 2) find a hummer-type external filter canister, or 3) leave the ram-air in place and find a way to box an inline filter inside the engine compartment.

Anybody got a line on an in-line filter cylindrical filter box or one of those external filter canisters similar to the hummers?

SARgroundpounder said:
I think we're close to a solution! Thanks!

Now, I need to find an airfilter solution. I either need to replace the ram-air intake of the snorkel with an 1) exposed K&N filter, or 2) find a hummer-type external filter canister, or 3) leave the ram-air in place and find a way to box an inline filter inside the engine compartment.

Anybody got a line on an in-line filter cylindrical filter box or one of those external filter canisters similar to the hummers?

Good Lord, I gave you Steve's CARB EO number! EO #D-577.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-577.pdf

CRASH

Thanks Crash. I haven't had to smog with an EO number before so I don't know what to expect at the station. The CARB site made it sound like the manufacturer and the product description could be easily looked up by the smog station. I thought the snorkel was a bit of a stretch for the air tube description and I volunteer for the Sheriff's Search & Rescue so "borrowing' this would be bad form. :hang:

I just ordered the air tube today. I now need to find a way to enclose an airfilter between the snorkel and the tube or find a way to put the filter at the top of the snorkel.

Anybody got a line on an industrial supply place that sells airboxes?

Back