• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power to weight Ratio: Why are XJs slow?

You will never beat the rice rockets with the stockish XJ. I see them and despise but it's just not going to happen. :(

i agree with out some serious work it's not easy to beat some "ricers" in an xj

but i do it all the time in my 98 ax15 np231 with a magna flow cat back 99+ intake 62mm trottle body and a slightly modifed stock airbox

you just gotta know what not to mess with. not all "ricers" are a fart can, an intake, and a body kit there are some serious power out there while you most of you on here may not believe that statement but thats only becasue there unfortunatly many xj owners that are to ingnorent to try to understand the technology behind them until then with out some serious cash or learnign how to drive have fun beating them

most of this statement was intended toward mr. IH8EPA( I HATE EPA)

MtBracer, I know what you mean when u say that not all ricers are just show. I have a friend or two who are highly accomplished mechanics.
I just mainly got into this discussion when i started to wonder if my Chero could beat my brothers Cummins diesel. I then calculated my p/w ratio.
Then i found this website with a list of production car's p/w ratio. And THAT got me wondering...

BTW why do you think i am this "Purple Cherokee" character?
Does he share a similiar hatred?

M

BTW why do you think i am this "Purple Cherokee" character?
Does he share a similiar hatred?

Not only does he share your hate, he asks alot of dumb questions too!

What is your view on catalytic converters?

islanderoffroad i don't think there is any good reason for you to be picking on this guy even though he may have some similar opinions to purple cherokee and even if he is him good luck geting him to admit it

believe what you want but lets get back on topic and not blow this up into another "omg you don't have a cat ur killing all of us" thread like u have done to almost all of purple cherokee's threads

islanderoffroad i don't think there is any good reason for you to be picking on this guy even though he may have some similar opinions to purple cherokee and even if he is him good luck geting him to admit it

believe what you want but lets get back on topic and not blow this up into another "omg you don't have a cat ur killing all of us" thread like u have done to almost all of purple cherokee's threads

I'm not the only one who does that.

If you come on here with a username that says "I hate the EPA" plan on getting flack for it because you make the whole community look bad.

Even if he doesn't admit it the moderators can check the IPs.

Yes my jeep does have its CAT still on.
No i am not "Purple Cherokee"
And my nickname is more of an inside joke than anything else.
Would you like pictures to prove it?

What does 2, 4 and 5 have to do with anything...
5. I dont care if it was supercharged or turbo charged. it still only has 200 hp.
might even be slower due to turbo lag.

A good factory turbo (such as the GTI) has little lag. What a turbo motor does have is a ton more torque and a ton more area under the torque curve, even at the same peak levels. Example: if a engine made 300 ft/lbs from idle to 6000 rpm, it would smoke a engine that started low and worked up to it. The area under the torque curve is what it is all about. Another example. A hayabusa has a engine with a higher horsepower level than our beloved 4.0. I guarantee that a xj with a 4.0 would destroy one with a 'busa swap because of the torque characteristics of the engines. The busa is like an on-off switch. in this case the 4.0 has the better curve.

Added to the torque curve argument is the drivetrain losses from the front axle, t case, crappy rolling resistance of 4wd tires, and the AW4 and there you have it. All in all I still think they scoot pretty good. If you want to beat ricers, just put your 242 in part time on a rainy day, and their fwd won't stand a chance.:D XD

Just swap in a np249, turbo, limited slips, and drag radials on the factory 15s and go street sniping. Ultimate sleeper. Turbos and automatics are a match made in heaven. just ask ayone with a buick Grand National:D

Last edited:
What does 2, 4 and 5 have to do with anything

Don't forget to compare the torque curve of a I-6 to an autobahn runner. You will never get a VW to pull stumps or an XJ to continue to accelerate to the redline.

I didn't read the whole thread, I'm at work and don't have much time, but I think 3K is a little on the lean side for even a stock XJ. I would be more betting in the range of 4000-4200 stock. Mine tips the scale right at 5K. Just sayin.

I didn't read the whole thread, I'm at work and don't have much time, but I think 3K is a little on the lean side for even a stock XJ. I would be more betting in the range of 4000-4200 stock. Mine tips the scale right at 5K. Just sayin.

I read the 3050 number somewhere too. 2900 for 2wd iirc. Definitely featherweights.

My cut and caged junk on 35s weighed 3760 the other day, no spares/tools/other crap. 35s, winch hanging off the front, rock rails, basic cage. Probably whatever is most recent in the link in my sig.

Your car is fat.

curb weight 2wd = 2,891 lbs - 2,993 lbs
curb weight 4wd = 3,057 lbs - 3,386 lbs

for a stock vehicle. varies by optional equipment

Don't forget to compare the torque curve of a I-6 to an autobahn runner. You will never get a VW to pull stumps or an XJ to continue to accelerate to the redline.
My 1.8t's got more tq than a 4.0 at low rpm. I wouldn't hook it up to the vw body though.

I weighed my 4wd 4dr xj before and it came out to 3450lbs.

Dunno where you all people are putting 200hp and turbo together? The VR6 is a different engine. 2.8L, basically an inline 6. They shouldn't all be called ricers.

And to the cat comments, I did a little test with the vw this week. Drove with just the DP (to the muffler shop right down the street), and it didnt feel as good as when I had the cat back on. Just a thought. :patriot:

I'll try to knock this out in one post.

The xj is typically 3300+ pounds. Not too heavy but not as light as imports.

With the AW4 (even worse is anyone with the 3spd auto), it has all the losses associated with most automatics vs most imports have standards.

4wd jeeps also have extra drivetrain losses through the t-case even if it's not in 4wd mode.

The gearing in XJ's is also a bit less than in most imports. Our rear ends are typically 3.55 (3.07 if you have the ax15), compared to 4:1 and up for imports. I think the vr6 is 3.94:1, and my 1.8t having 3.65:1 (kinda close to my aw4).

And the biggest lesson of them all is powerband. Jeeps may have great low end torque, but that torque fades away.

When you're at the drag strip....you work from 2000-5200rpm, upshift, then from 3500-5200 again, then 3600-5200, etc etc. (ballpark shift numbers).....

....during that time your torque isn't where it was down low.

The torque on some of these "top end" cars is going to be up there and not fade away. Same engine rpm scenario as before (just scaled a little) and you find that it's getting good tq numbers the entire time.

Long story short, leave the jeeps to the trail if you expect to be a street machine with it. (not saying you cant make xj's quick, but you'll realize not many people get the numbers they want even with a ton of bolt-ons)....take it from someone who's been there and done that (well at least analyzed it).

I'm not sure why the OP is trying to compare a GTI with an XJ. They are two completely different vehicles. Its like comparing a diesel engine with and gasoline engine. An XJ is meant for towing, hauling, and carrying stuff. A gti is meant to drive on the street and tear around an autoX course!

THIS THREAD IS POINTLESS IN OTHER WORDS! :D

FlexdXJ: I wasnt comparing the GTI to the XJ as much as anyother car. The GTI just happend to have the exact same p/w ratio, so i chose to talk about it in this thread.

Back