• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering

Onetype

NAXJA Forum User
The nipple on my power steering reservoir for the return line snapped in half, this is on a 2000. I've been looking online to fix this but im confused. Can I just put a new reservoir on it or do I need to buy a whole new pump?

If you can find a reservoir you can easily replace it. Not all reservoirs are readily available.

Sorry I should have worded that better. I removed the reservoir from the pump and it seems like a replacement would be logical since the pump is still good but I can only find them for 96 and older. I guess ill just buy a whole new assembly.

Im looking into the wj setup. Could you give me some more info on it if you dont mind?

Last edited:
you can just buy the earlier reservoir...they do fit.

The reservoirs say they fit 91-96 (oe p/n 52037544) but the pumps were the same 96-01...

I've seen them fit on a 99 XJ, a 2004 TJ, etc. Should only be $20-30 instead of a full new setup.

your 00 is starting to get old I would really think about replacing the pump or upgrading if bigger tires are to be.

you can just buy the earlier reservoir...they do fit.

The reservoirs say they fit 91-96 (oe p/n 52037544) but the pumps were the same 96-01...

I've seen them fit on a 99 XJ, a 2004 TJ, etc. Should only be $20-30 instead of a full new setup.

Thanks for the heads up, I ended up getting one of these. They had to order it so I wont get to put it on for a few days.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__20710346-P_2137_R|GRP60016____

your 00 is starting to get old I would really think about replacing the pump or upgrading if bigger tires are to be.

I agree with you, with the first of the month coming up this is not a good time for me to spend that kinda cash. So im hoping this will get me by for another couple of weeks.

I did some searching but couldnt find anything specific on the wj steering pump swap. Is there a certain year, v8 or I6, direct bolt in? This is something I would like to do in the near future.

How hard is it to replace the Reservoir? (1991 xj 4.0)
I was replacing return line and the fitting on the back of the res snapped off! It almost looks some JB weld would put it back but I don't want it to fail when I need it the most.

Back