• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

portable compressor: puma 12v

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
After years of thinking about on board air and research I'd like to share my rationale for anyone this can help.
Puma 12v. 3.4 cfm 1.5 gallon. I have not decided on how I will wire/mount this in my WJ but write up coming after this tax season.

I read about a ton of compressors from the m50, vairs, arb, and even the oasis.
The puma is the best sub $250 compressor gathered from my research. Made in Taiwan 227 shipped on ebay(ordered sunday arrived wed)
When divorced to run a 5+ gallon tank 3/8 wrenches can be run reliably for long periods of time. (One guy used his for over 4 hours on the trail)

My intention is to have a reliable fast compressor to air up after trails for myself and friends.
I had my heart set on the mv50 for $60 on amazon. But after realizing that with our altitude in colorado the pump will run longer and harder due to the thin air I decided not to skimp out and risk likely failure/long wait times.

Initial thoughts are good build quality (solid weight, beefy compressor) and a thin foorprint. I might just wire up battery clamps and keep this behind the drivers seat to make portable between my other trucks.
I'll post a review to this thread with running temps, noise, and most importantly tire fill times.
20140326_180226.jpg

Last edited:
Bitchin....

I am going to remove plastic from the rear side panels to see what room I can find. Either way it's living in the jeep and not under. Id like to hard mount in the rear but still allow enough room to sleep for camping.
If not then I'll probably keep it portable in a box I'll weld.

I you pull the passenger side rear, remove the factory 10-disc changer, I bet you'll find some serious room in that panel...

Cut up some old jumper cables and broke in the pump. Inflated a dead tire in no time. Pretty happy with it. Will post up some 15-35 times soon

Good Timing:

Ten Years After:

Why it broke, I have no idea. Piston wasn't stuck in the cylinder, bearing is good. Metal fatigue?

2.5 minutes for a 33x12.5x15 from 12 to 30 psi. For comparison, 1.8 minutes for a Dewalt portable compressor that claims 5.2 CFM at 90 psi. I'd say the 3.0 CFM at 90 psi is real.

Not yet, I have to figure out how to fit it into the system. I already have a five gallon tank with a pressure switch. I have ton's of room, no back seat, but I want to do it a little neater than my last install. Also, that compressor gets WAY hotter than the old one.

I don't recall the pressure settings, they were on the higher end, it came from Viar. You can probably have it, since the Puma has it's own.

I decided I'd separate the compressor from the tank, and use my old set-up. The fittings are not standard NPT fittings. :( Probably not too surprising since it's from China, but it does make it difficult to adapt. The unit as a whole is too damn big to fit in where I want it to. Looking at fittings on line reveals a whole lot of things I don't know. :)

Back