• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping coming f/front end when wheels turned?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, on my son's 87 XJ there is a nice loud POP when the wheels are turned to full turn. Sounds like it's coming f/the front drivers side, but location could be deceptive to my ears. I thought it may be the trackbar mount but not sure now. I was able to torque down the two lower bolts/nuts to 70lb/#s but the two that mount horizontally next to the coil spring (upper mounts) I was not able to torque those down. They would keep feeling like they're getting snug but would never pop my torque wrench. It doesn't feel like they're stripped out, but almost like the nut on the backside is spinning a bit. Is there a way to get a wrench on the backside to make sure this tightens up or any suggestions?

Also, if not the trackbar mount, what else should I check? U-joint? Balljoint? , etc... anything you can think of would be appreciated.

Mine makes the same noise. When the vehicle has been sitting a day or two. The first time I turn the wheel either direction I get that popping sound. It will not do it when jacked up.
I've heard of others saying the lower trackbar mount rubs, or that the passenger side upper control arm bushing is worn out.

Mine does this too. I changed the U-joints a couple of months ago, and grease everything just about weekly (I spend more time in the dirt in a week than most people do all year). Any other ideas? I seem to be thinking that my ball-joints are going...

Control arm bushings? Tracbar frame end, tie rod ends? Crawl under the front and have some one turn the wheels back and forth. Look at everything. As for the tracbar mount, mine uses a stud that goes through the frame and has a nut on both sides. You have to turn both nuts.

check trackbar, wheel joints (Wheel u-joints), steering box mounting/bushings through all steering compoents.

I had the same problem. U-Joints fixed it for me.

Check your tie rod ends. I have the same problem. I had a friend turn the steering wheel with the tires on the ground. With it up on jacks stands it will not work because there is no pressure on the linkage. Hope it helps. I'm putting new tie rod ends on this weekend. Can't complain too much though, it's only 17 yrs old w/ 227,000 miles on it :laugh:

keep the suggestions coming... and I appreciate the insight.

if/when I figure this out on the '87 I'll post up. This XJ sat for several years before we bought it so I'm sure there is some dry-rot problems on the bushings and what-not, but still want to get others experiences.

I had a similar sound and, after a bunch of help from folks on NAXJA, I put the vehicle on jack stands and put it in gear while turning the wheel. The driver's side wheel would go "out of round" and wobble at full turn. Turns out I had a bad front hub/bearing assembly. I changed it and no more problems. If you jack up the suspect side and pull on the wheel, you'll be able to tell if you have any slop.

I also fought this problem, had my brother turn the wheels back and forth and saw that the track bar mount was sliding back and forth, I pulled both bolts out, shined them up with a wire brush, and tightened them with locktite, in hind site, I should have gone and got some heavier bolts, and nuts, with lock washers and tightend the crap out of it. That fixed it for then, but not sure it fixed it for now. I was tempted to run a bead of weld on both sides once I had it tightened in place, or at least tack it. don't know if that would help or not.

have the same problem...but i know what it is I'm just too lazy to put in the new poly set I have....driver-side upper control arm bushing...these seem to be common as I've had the axle side go out on 3 different xjs I've had... if it were tierods/balljoints/wheelbearing you would have a funny wear pattern on that tire...if the wear pattern is fine its one of the bushings...

I had a similar problem with mine - after numerous attempts to find it myself and a couple of front end shop visits they said it was also the track arm. Finally i found that it was the lower ball joint on the driver side. I replaced both since I had it apart. A couple months later I had to do it again becuase I didn't check the knuckle & it ruined the new ball joint. I replaced the knuckle with one from a 98 grand cherokee (yes, they are identical) & have not had any problems since - no noise, no pops, no viberations

Mine was doing the same thing and drove me nuts. Went through everything and was just about to change my ball joints. As a last resort, I went back to there upper trackbar mount, (Rubicon Express). I managed to get another quarter to half turn out of one bolt and solved the terrible popping, cracking sound. Check the trackbar mount and make sure all the bolts are totally tight!

Back