• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please share photos of your cargo area.

:scared: ZOMG WTF ... someone who actually listened to constructive criticism & made improvements based on them??? What is this world coming to?

wait ... what planet did you say you were from ...?

Just kidding. :D Nice job. We can always improve. I've been thru a bunch of changes myself.
I keep wondering: how come others get it but Chrysler doesn't? I ride in a friend's Toyota pickup & there are so many cubbies, pockets, cupholders & storage that i have to ask ... why does a pickup truck have more storage than an "SUV" anyway? My ZJ sucked as much as my XJ & my Durango is no better. Maybe I should get a Toyota ... :gag:

True, it's not exactly "on board fire suppression." I figure if my my Jeep's:flame:
you've got me covered, and if your Jeep is :flame: - I can get my ten pounder PDQ and do my best for you.

It worried me putting it out of sight as much as letting it bang around in the back, so I stickered the location rather obsessively:

SSCN0383.jpg
docchaynes
SSCN0383.jpg

FEstowage.jpg
docchaynes
FEstowage.jpg

From the suggestions in the thread, I bought a rubber "diamond plate" tailgate protector and cut it to fit the cubby and the spare wheel to house my tow straps, jumper cables, and such. I bolted the Hi-Lift through the fenders instead of the silly rubber straps I was using before. I think this is the first time in my life I've used fender washers on an actual fender!
cargoarea.jpg
docchaynes

cargoarea.jpg

Hey, again, I appreciate all the insight. I know it's just a DD, but I'm glad to have the experience of this forum to get it set up better!

thats not a bad idea. as long as you think you can get to it quickly if needed.

this is the reason i'm so into a great extinguisher location, just so ya know.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1040578

not trying to rag on ya but we all re thought our mounting after this.

Y'know, you have a point there. I was so amazed that he made adjustments that I missed that issue. If there's anything in the second seating area it might impede getting to that extinguisher in a hurry. Already you have to raise the seat to get to it. Carry any sort of cargo (laundry, kid, box, even a high lift on the floor) and you've added another step before you can actually have it in your hand. I have a large Quickfist squeezed between the driver seat & the body, and it holds my F.E. in place without sliding. The power seat controls help keep it there. A quick tug & it's free.

Y'know, you have a point there. I was so amazed that he made adjustments that I missed that issue. If there's anything in the second seating area it might impede getting to that extinguisher in a hurry. Already you have to raise the seat to get to it. Carry any sort of cargo (laundry, kid, box, even a high lift on the floor) and you've added another step before you can actually have it in your hand. I have a large Quickfist squeezed between the driver seat & the body, and it holds my F.E. in place without sliding. The power seat controls help keep it there. A quick tug & it's free.

i've gone with "if it takes more than 2 actions to remove and use it's in a bad spot" theory now.

Wow, what a blaze! I really appreciate the discussion. I can see I'm not finished with fire equipment, so I'll bump that other thread and carry on.

Really, really good feedback and very much appreciated!

I hate to change the subject but I have noticed in a lot of these pictures its either a Viair set up or just a power tank. I want to put a Viair Onboard Air system in my xj, is it a good OBA setup and can you run an impact with it?

I hate to change the subject but I have noticed in a lot of these pictures its either a Viair set up or just a power tank. I want to put a Viair Onboard Air system in my xj, is it a good OBA setup and can you run an impact with it?

Viair makes a good OBA system, but you'll need a good sized storage tank if you want to run air tools.

Viair makes a good OBA system, but you'll need a good sized storage tank if you want to run air tools.

I run an OBA with a 7 gallon tank. it reaches 150 psi and shuts off.I got the Viair kit and then pillaged some of the parts and then got some other items to finish it off. I can impact a tire on off on before the tank needs to fill up again and the compressor is having problems. airing 4 33s from 10 to 35 psi its slowed way down by the time i get to the 4th tire but it still does the job.

I would recommend if you can, get a york style AC compressor and add that under the hood and get a 5gallon tank. I had that combo on my CJ7 and it was like being in the shop with air.

the compressor i am using is the
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=14032

thanks for the informations, and the link. I guess I will just stick with it for filling tires and keep a wrench with me. I don't want to take up room in my trunk with a large tank

Daily driving duties.
IMG_0157.jpg

Setup for the trail.
IMG_0168.jpg

OBA hose, and fishing lines for quick access.
IMG_0171.jpg

I thought about making a cargo box, but I really didn't want to carry around the extra junk during the week. Since I rarely use my back seat I decided to ditch it, and use the space for the spare. This setup seems to work pretty well, plus everything is down low and spread out.

How is everyone storing their spare axles?

Right now I just roll mine up in a piece of canvas, and then strap the roll to my tie downs. It's flop proven, but I would like to change it especially now that I have a set or rear shafts too.

Wow, time for a little update.

IMG_0039.jpg

I ended up making a small wooden box (positioned over the rear axle) for my spare axles, steering TRE's, and other junk. I ditched the action packer, and tool box for some canvas bags. They take up way less space, and I have things organized a little better with them. I picked up a cheap Rubbermaid container for fluid/spill kit storage. Everything then gets ratchet strapped down to some 3/8" eye bolts through the floor.

I use to never carry my hi-lift because I never had a good place to mount it, so I fabbed up a quick disco mount for it. It's now super handy to get to. The best part about my current setup is everything is really easy to get to, and down low which is a huge pet peeve of mine. I also like being able to completely gut the interior for running around town.

i've gone with "if it takes more than 2 actions to remove and use it's in a bad spot" theory now.

with your theory you cant even mount your fire extinguisher in the cargo bay in a secured location. if you have a swing away carrier on the back like half of us do(did in my case) then it will take at the very least 3 actions to get it out, that is IF you can get into your hatch because your not on level ground or twisted a little. i believe if you can get whatever you need out in under a minute then your buddy is still in pretty good hands as far as keeping their jeep from melting to the ground. With your theory your best bet would to be to make a mount on the swing away

if my buddies jeep was on fire and my extinguisher was under the seat, nothing on that seat would stop me from flinging it out as fast as i could to get to my extinguisher to keep his jeep from melting to the ground. i think more importantly you should pack the things you need not the things you think you might need or your friends might need. i have a small cargo rack on top of my jeep that is 38" wide by 42" long and its big enough to carry all of my camping gear on top with the exception of my tool box and ice chest which stays inside the cab to keep my Center of gravity lower. more times than not i can still seat 4 even after im done packing for a camping trip.

with your theory you cant even mount your fire extinguisher in the cargo bay in a secured location.

So don't ;)

Of course, I don't have an extinguisher in my rig at all. Still seems like more accessible is always better with a safety item like this.

167986_10150374091080131_886005130_16815576_7240592_n.jpg

What I currently have. There's also an ammo box for small items under the bag that holds all of my towing/recovery gear. The trunk is for larger items, 6 ton bottle jack, 4 way lug wrench, air compressor, spare parts, tools, ect...

I used to have a cargo area, then I found rust so I did this
nofloor.jpg

After that I shoved a gas tank in the floor
IMG_0820.jpg

But I wanted some storage so I made a rack for storage
97af9ca1.jpg

78ad625a.jpg

Back