• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please review my dream build(s)

The absolute best upgrade I did for ride was going from short arms to drop brackets at 5 inches of lift, changed nothing else at the time.

yes, makes a big difference with the control arms flat(er) regarding ride quality.

Longarms and drop brackets are unnecessary on anything under ~5" of lift.

the ride difference will be almost unnoticeable between a CA at 5* and one at 20*

that is left up to the springs and shocks (mostly the shocks)

So by that logic I should be on stock control arm locations since I am about 5" of lift. :laugh:

There is a big big difference in ride when you go from a 5 degree control arm angle to a 20 degree angle!

To the OP; sounds like you are on the right track but as others have said get the stiffeners before anything else. They truly make a difference. Steering can go many ways you just need to be honestly with yourself on how much wheeling and how much street driving you will really do.

Last edited:
Damn, no "Like" button for vanimal's and cal's posts....

To the op
1 8.25 is a great axle I have had mine in my rig for a year and have been wheeling on it no problems. This is with a auto locker in it.
2 shocks matter for ride, with my rubicon express springs I have a great ride with my 255/75 valved bilstien 5150s
3 keep it 2-3 inches a 33 will fit no problem!
4 I have an auto, but 3.55s on my mtrs was not bad. On the heavier steel rims and with heavier swampers I need gears bad.
5 steering. I have a zj tie rod it is a nice setup. But currie is better.
6 body. Factory skids are not bad! Grab them! Do unibody stiffeners as well!
That's all for now folks!

Longarms and drop brackets are unnecessary on anything under ~5" of lift.

the ride difference will be almost unnoticeable between a CA at 5* and one at 20*

that is left up to the springs and shocks (mostly the shocks)

Seriously dude?

You come and quote my post, with actual experienced information, (I had 4 inches of lift on short arms for 3 years, now long arms for at least 2 years) and you try to tell me MY build is unnecessary and done wrong?

You are an idiot. I agree with cal.

The control arm angle at 5 inches would be absolutely atrocious, especially considering that stock they are essentially flat. Not to mention the fact that when I had short arms at full droop, the coils would bang and scrape against the bumpstop post, making a horrible noise, and it would push the wheel back so far it would almost hit the fender. After long arms... That was all solved

Before- The passenger side tire is getting sucked under the wheel wel, and you can see the coil is out of place-
Hollisternov09001.jpg

DSC06931.jpg

After- The coil is still disengaged but straight
4846f802.jpg

Back