• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help! AW4 Fluid change issue on 96!

I changed the fluid in my 97 twice, and my 01 once. The first time in my 97, with 75K I drained the fluid out of the pan, measured and it. It was about 2 quarts. I then dropped the pan to check the filter/screen and it was clean! the fluid was a deeper red that new fluid. I reassembled the pan, and removed the upper cooling line from the radiator. Put a piece of heater hose with a hose clamp on the radiator. Put 2 qts of Mobil 1 back in. I got a 1/2 gal. plastic milk jug and put the heater hose in. Have someone start the car, and when you get 2 more qts., shut it off and replace the 2 qts. You keep doing this until you see fresh red fluid. Mine took about 9 qts.

Don't over-tighten the bolts, I broke off 2 tonight,:flamemad: guess I didn't learn my lesson with the first one so I decided to do it again:twak:, after that I quit for the night, gonna wait to fix it Wednesday, or tomorrow night. I gotta go try to get a bolt remover kit from Lowe's and try that first...

CodyB said:
Don't over-tighten the bolts, I broke off 2 tonight,:flamemad: guess I didn't learn my lesson with the first one so I decided to do it again:twak:, after that I quit for the night, gonna wait to fix it Wednesday, or tomorrow night. I gotta go try to get a bolt remover kit from Lowe's and try that first...

If they arent right beside each other, I wouldnt worry about them until you drop the pan again, it should seal up fine. I broke one bolt off the first time I dropped the pan and just left it like that until I dropped it again and it was fine.

Ray H said:
If they arent right beside each other, I wouldnt worry about them until you drop the pan again, it should seal up fine. I broke one bolt off the first time I dropped the pan and just left it like that until I dropped it again and it was fine.

There is only one in between the two, I already have the extractor kit, just gotta get under and finish up, Personally I want to go ahead, the '95 leeks every other fluid, so I just wanna try to keep at least one... :rolleyes:

CodyB said:
There is only one in between the two, I already have the extractor kit, just gotta get under and finish up, Personally I want to go ahead, the '95 leeks every other fluid, so I just wanna try to keep at least one... :rolleyes:

I would use a reverse drill. the broken bolts might just come out while drilling.

anyone think that having bad motor/tranny mounts contributes to whether or not you have problems getting the pan off?

I was reading this thread and I have just changed the fluid in my 96 after some struggles with the pan, the trick I used was that I loosened the pan and rested it on the exhaust pipe while I removed the filter. Then when I replaced it I did it opposite I put the pan in past the tranny then installed the filter and buttoned it up.

Back