• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning on Fixing My Cool System...Am I Missing Anything?

Pugsley said:
I have forced water in with a water hose and still.
Water hose...hmm...that doesn't exactly cause me to think you've got a handle on the overheating problem for a couple reasons. If you always use a garden hose to fill your radiator, you very likely have mineral deposits in the radiator that are restricting coolant flow and cooling ability. Use only distilled water. Additionally, a garden hose could very easily have suspended air bubbles in it, or the act of filling could ssupend some bubbles so you aren't helping matters. If you are using a hose to fill it, how is your antifreeze diluted and added?

You say you leave puddles/leaks/whatever. Where is the liquid coming from? Trace it back to the source! If it's from the nose of the water pump, replace the pump ASAP - that may even help some of the heating issues.

What IS "hot" to you?- you keep saying it's running hot, yet give no figures that actually provide information.

OK,
First things first. This isn't the greatest XJ I have ever layed eyes on.
I got it used from a vollenter fire dept. Dirt cheap. It will over heat ( spew water everwhere) if it revs over 3000 rpms( bad expation bottle now fixed) . when I got it home the first day it blew the lower rad hase.
I did at first put anti freeze in it, but I had to put water in it every other day. this XJ has been running on the edge of life for the last year. This fall I plan to fix the XJ or get a new to me used 4x4.

I have been working on keeping it running this summer but its getting bad.
It needs a motor rebuild ( has blow by ), raditator, a/c doen't work, seals in seering box looked like they were leaking today, seals in axles, electical rewiring, and the suspention is sagging, rotted, and just bad.

What I have replaced - t-stat, water pump, expantion bottle, all radiator hoses, battery, positive & negitive cables, power steering pump, brakes drums & roters, rebuilt slaves.

So back on trac Hot to me is when it spews water from the old expantion bottle.
the reason I used tap water was it was a gallon every 2 days and I was waiting to fix it all then get the antifreeze in the system back in.

After I get the new radiator I will put anti freeze in it with distiled water.

Then in November I was thinking of replacing the motor.

Thanks ,

Pugsley

Back