• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Piston Slap?

Heat soak. its not only on the newer ones. My 98 would stumble a bit on restart when wheeling for a good couple hours.

I was thinking maybe a lifter not pumping up? I emailed the video to a mechanic and from that he thought it could be something in the valve train...

that little video posted above sounds like a dropped valve or something like that to me.

I still have not had time to further look into my noisy beast- tomorrow I am going over to the shop where it is straight from work. I gotta fix my XJ- uncle wants his ford tempo back.

Just had a chance to listen to the vid. My earlier response was about the rough idle upon warm startup when wheeling. In the vid it def sounds like a valvetrain(rocker or lifter perhaps) issue.

Ok. This is all good. Even if it's lifters, I can deal with that. I just don't wanna do ANOTHER new engine. Thanks a lot for the responses guys. Do you think it's ok to drive it normally or should I drive as little as possible until I get it sorted out?

It's a jeep. Pour some Lucas and MMO in it and run it till it dies...LOL.. Seriously I would run this combo for a 1000 miles or soo, then just do oil w/some Lucas and see if it cleans up the noise. These motors are pretty stout.

If I had that noise, I would pull the valve cover and take a look. That noise comes from something shifting around. Maybe a rocker?

Just did this. Some of the rockers had a little side to side play in them, maybe 1/16"? I checked and they were all properly torqued. I tried using a piece of roundstock to my ear to pinpoint the noise but I couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary on any cylinder. Any other ideas on how to pinpoint where this is coming from?

^^^^I would still loosen all the rockers and re-torque them 1/4 turn at a time to 21ft. lbs.(or 19 per Haynes). I've had to do this on a few LS2's(vette motor) w/non-adjustable rockers. Sometimes they'll torque to spec, but need to be backed off and re-torqued because of the load on the spring itself.

Back