• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion measurement tool

littlebill86

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody have a pinion measurement tool that they would be willing to loan me? I'm ready to do gears in the xj but would like to simplify the process a bit. Thanks

You don't need it. Pay attention to the depth shims that come out of the axle, the markings on the pinion that are in the axle, and the markings on the replacement pinion, do some math and adjust the stack. If you use quality gears, you should be pretty darn close from the start.

Hmmm.. pinion measuring tool.. do you mean, maybe, a dial indicator? For measuring backlash? Wonder of you might know someone who has set gears before... hate to see you get in over your head and ruin a new set...

Hmmm.. pinion measuring tool.. do you mean, maybe, a dial indicator? For measuring backlash? Wonder of you might know someone who has set gears before... hate to see you get in over your head and ruin a new set...

:conceited

Come on.....if you don't know what he is asking for, please don't respond.

It's actually for measuring the pinion depth an setting the depth to that specified measurement on the side of the ring gear that all decent gear sets should have. The tool takes all guess work out of setting pinion depth. Use the right tools and get it done right the first time. I'm a motorcycle tech by trade, gears are by no means over my head. Thanks for the input.

I keep debating picking one up. It would come in really handy when someone just brings in a housing and didn't keep anything that was in it. Going off the old stack has provided really good patterns so far though.

I have access to the factory chrysler one, but im far from you. You could just make dummy bearing. I prefer that method. Im sure i have a set of those as well, but again, Im far from you

Justin

I have never used one. I can usually get it dialed in in about 2 adjustments. I usually start with .020 if I don't know how much shim was in it before and go from there. If you have questions while doing the install you are welcome to call me. Nein fi wun, tu tu fi five fi fi wun. Keep in mind the backlash needs to be in the ballpark when getting a pattern while setting pinion depth.

Back