• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion angle shim math

right the idea is about 2 less, no more than spot on.

i'm not sure you'll see any change in the vibrations with the shim change though since it seems like your problem is at the other end.

I thought I'd update... My vibrations are gone. :cheers:

I emailed Rugged Ridge asking for a new kit, they told me they had problems with the length yoke I got in my kit and would send me a new shaft and yoke.

Well, I already ordered a JB SYE because I wasn't going to troubleshoot this kit any more. I installed the JB kit and she's butter smooth now!

BTW the JB kits components have a much nicer fit, finish and seem to be of much higher quality than RR.

Thanks for the driveline thread. I've been fighting a vibration myself.
I appreciate all the ideas and areas to examine.
01 XJ with 212,000 and a 2" lift. 🙄 Chrysler 8.25 rear end.
Took my front driveshaft in to have it looked at and they told me they couldn't be sure until they tore it apart. Removed the 1" TC drop. New trans mount.
I wasn't going to lay out that much cash till I was certain the shaft/joints were the problem area.
Had the rear shaft rebuilt. Vibration remained. I'll check angles tomorrow.
The front shaft or the TC are the only other areas I can think of.

on my '00 with it's first 2" lift, I had to install a SYE and have both shafts rebuilt (200k on them, original joints) to get rid of my vibes; 8.25 as well. Drive with you front shaft removed to begin with, so you can smooth it out one shaft at a time - that was easiest for me to get a smooth ride

Yes, I know this is a fairly old thread, but to clarify you want the pinion angle to be approx 2* less than the DS angle, correct? My DS sits at 14* and my pinion is at 8*. So by that math I should put 4* shims in and the pinion will go to 12* and the DS will settle close to 13*. Does that sound correct?

Back