• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics of the new lift!

xL8 APEKSx said:
Well, I can't get the crossmember out either...does that matter? :dunno:

Nope, don't matter at all....get a little greasier this way, but that's about it. Oh, and the snap rings are a wee tad more difficult.

What are the next mods on the list? Looks like your off to a good start so far, it's nice to have other guys that have experience to come over and help. I'm in FL and everyone here just wan't to put 24" leafs and chrome diff. covers on with 44" boggers. Unfortunately around here it's not cool to do things the right way. Lookin' Good!!

pierceME311 said:
What are the next mods on the list? Looks like your off to a good start so far, it's nice to have other guys that have experience to come over and help. I'm in FL and everyone here just wan't to put 24" leafs and chrome diff. covers on with 44" boggers. Unfortunately around here it's not cool to do things the right way. Lookin' Good!!

8.25 in the rear with a lunchbox locker, 4.56's, sliders, and a rear recovery point. That should finish me off for a while and allow me to do 90% of the trails around here. I can't wait!

pierceME311 said:

Hey man, don't knock a good ol' redneck lift! I did my time in Florida too...14 years. First Jeep I had I set to do rock crawling....in a swamp...kinda foolish. But i had a nice rig until I hit that first gator hole and hydrolocked the engine. Thank god for the guy with the 24" lift, 52" tractor tires, and rockwell axles that towed my butt all the way to dry land.

Well, we finally got the trac bar out today. More torching, twisting, and slugging with a 4lb steel sledge and it finally let go.

Johnny threw the front shocks in too, so all that's left to do is:
-drill out trac bar mount and install new trac bar
-press out old sway bar mount studs and install quick discos
-finish cutting/drilling/cussing the rear shock mount bolts out
-press out the steel sleeve in the Rancho's I have so they will fit on the lower rear shock mounts

I will post pics tomorrow of the carnage I am faced with in the rear; maybe someone could make a suggestion. I'm not sure what material they are made of, but I hear tales of super-ultra-mega strong drill bits that cost $40+ a piece that will drill through pure Unobtanium. If I can find a place that sells one of these magical drill bits, perhaps I will be able to finally drill out the old broken bolts and mount the rear driver's side shock to the body!

Also, any advice on pressing out that steel sleeve inside the rubber bushing on the rear shock is appreciated too! Thanks for the compliments guys!

Saving the SYE for next week. I just want to finish the lift for now and hope to be able to take it on a test drive this weekend. If anyone else is off work and bored, and wants to help with the remainder of the carnage, PM me!

cashless said:
nice rado back there

...currently building a turbo engine for her; 300whp is the goal. There's also a red SLC in the garage getting a 3.0L big valve head + turbo, ~450hp. :)

Almost there! Looks good so far.
On another note, I could use some stock leaf packs if you're getting rid of them. I want to experiment a little. Let me know if you were planning on tossing em or selling em.

YAY! I finally got the rear shocks installed. What a PITA! I ended up using a couple air grinders and carbide burs to chew through the old broken bolts. Then the next obstacle was pressing out the steel sleeve inside the rubber bushing of the "lollipop" on the bottom of the rear shocks, so they would fit on the lower shock mounts. Anti-seize was applied liberally to EVERYTHING. I do NOT want to ever go through this again!!!

8g4fdoh.jpg

6lm7hvp.jpg

I also managed to organize the garage a little, getting ready for tomorrow's in-car SYE install. I cant' wait to see what goes wrong there! haha!

So what's left is...SYE, flushing brakes, track bar and quick discos. I think I'm still on-par to finish by Saturday night. :)

Last edited:
4.5" RE and 33x12.5's. Haven't trimmed yet, but will do so Fri or Sat.

so far, the best tool ive used to cut up the fenders and flares is a jig saw, with a metal blade. Cuts realllllly smoothly, doesn't burn up the paint like a cutoff wheel, and makes a clean cut. It will make that part of the build go by in no time.

OK...another BIG thanks to Mike. He is saving me countless hours of frustration by working diligently on my rig while I look for things to throw at it. I am trying to think positive though. lol.

The SYE is installed, thanks to Mike! The thing is *ALMOST* ready to drive. I have 2 lingering issues.

1) I installed new brake lines with the lift, and one of them sat dripping for the last couple days so I'm sure the fluid level in the resevoir got pretty low. I was planning on using my trusty Motive Pressure Bleeder to put in some new ATE Gold. But my '01 has ABS, and I am reading that I might have to take my XJ into a DEALER to have them use some fancy computer to activate the ABS solenoids in order to bleed/flush the brakes properly. WTF is up with that?! Can someone please confirm or deny? And isn't that a catch 22? If I can't bleed my brakes, how can I drive it to a dealer or shop to have them do it?! I really don't want to spend any more money on this Heep. Is there a way for me to do my own brakes if I have ABS?

2) I am running a front auto driveshaft as a rear with the SYE, but upon installing we were afraid it's too short. The splines aren't showing yet, but it really seems like it should be an inch or two longer. I'm scared it's gonna pop out once the rear gets flexed. Can anyone chime in here? Am I safe running a front D/S without having it extended? Again, I don't want to spend another god-knows-how-much at a driveline shop to get this thing extended if I don't have to.

Thanks for the compliments...I just want to drive the thing! It has been 1 full week of cussing and spending money, and I'm just about ready to let the thing sit. Arrrrgh!

Back