• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Physical fitness memorial

Trail-Axe

NAXJA Forum User
Some of you may know who Lt. Michael P. Murphy (USN SEAL, & a MOH recipient) is, and I know some of you have read the book “Lone Survivor,” by Marcus Luttrell (USN SEAL). But what some of you may not know is that one of Mr. Murphy’s favorite workouts was a workout he dubbed “Body Armor.” In his honor and as a tribute to his memory it is now known as the “Murph.”

It goes like this:

You record how long it takes you to perform the following work out and post your time:

Start
1 mile run
100 chin ups
200 push ups
300 squats (air squats, no weights)
1 mile run
Finish

The first time I did it, it took me 1 hour 33min. You can partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats however you like. The first time I did this work out I did the run, and then I did the chin-ups, then the push-ups, then the squats. The second time I did sets of chin-ups, and while resting I did a set of push-ups, and then performed a set of squats. After all my sets were completed I did the final 1-mile run. I was able to complete the Murph the second time in 1 hour 16 min. This work out is perdy tough, and the first time you complete it; you will be sore for 4-6 days after. A few bags of frozen pees should be on hand to help with the sore pecs, shoulders, ETC.

For those who are interested in a tough work out, this is a cool way to pay their respects to a fallen warrior, and get in shape at the same time. If this is not challenging enough for you, the Murph can be performed with a military frag vest, or a weighted vest. The military fragmentation vest weighs around nine pounds.

Let’s keep this thread alive, ourselves in good physical shape, and have some friendly competition at the same time by posting our times.

1 hr. 16 min. is the time to beat. No cheating. Let us Honor the memory of Mr. Murphy with honor.

Awesome. I'm in. Reminds me a little of the 300 workout.

Although I'd bet 90% of people cant do 100 pullups and/or 200 pushups in an hour.

pushups i can do, but it would take me all day to 100 chin ups

this is like a week long event right?

Trail-Axe said:
Start
1 mile run
100 chin ups
200 push ups
300 squats (air squats, no weights)
1 mile run
Finish

How would those numbers be adjusted if I had
a BMI of 2XL fatso? :chef:

RTicUL8 said:
How would those numbers be adjusted if I had
a BMI of 2XL fatso? :chef:

Start
1 yard run

100 chips
200 pies
300 cheese balls (planters brand, no cheapos)
1 yard run
Finish

there

ill do this tomorrow.

we shall see how long it takes for me.

my strategy will be doing the pull ups in sets of 10 with 20 push ups and 30 squats in between.

Id do it today but i ran a 10k out here in iraq.......good times.

im no speedy runner but i came in the top 20 out of 300 armed forces personnel so i was content. time was 42:15. theres was a pretty decent hill section at the beginning of the run that killed off alot of people.

top time was 33:45......he was a usmc major (o-5) who was over 45 years old....

Which one of my chins do I have to "up"? It looks like I can just push it up? I hope it's ok for me to push it up with one hand, I've got to drive and finish my donut with the other hand......

Interesting workout, I'll give it a try. Haven't done chin-ups in a long, long time. My mile run could be timed with a calendar, but I'll give that a try too.

Maybe I should have said 99%....

Dumptruck, I'm with you, I'll try this tomorrow or the next day...

Major's are O-4s :D

:duh:

what was i thinking.....

JNickel101 said:
Maybe I should have said 99%....

Dumptruck, I'm with you, I'll try this tomorrow or the next day...

Major's are O-4s :D

Sounds like you've had a long day buddy...good run, esp. in the desert heat...

heat wasnt so bad....

98* was the high...

cloud cover gave way to sand cover........

sand storms :D

JNickel101 said:
Sounds like you've had a long day buddy...good run, esp. in the desert heat...

GrimmJeeper said:
Start
1 yard run

100 chips
200 pies
300 cheese balls (planters brand, no cheapos)
1 yard run
Finish

there

Dude, thanks for the gut busting laugh! I was trying to think of something like this, then I read your post. Can't add anything to that. :rof:

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
ill do this tomorrow.

we shall see how long it takes for me.
my strategy will be doing the pull ups in sets of 10 with 20 push ups and 30 squats in between.
Id do it today but i ran a 10k out here in iraq.......good times.
im no speedy runner but i came in the top 20 out of 300 armed forces personnel so i was content. time was 42:15. theres was a pretty decent hill section at the beginning of the run that killed off alot of people.
top time was 33:45......he was a usmc major (o-5) who was over 45 years old....

My best 10K race time was 43:22 (6:58 min miles) mostly flat in 65 degree weather. Your 10K time is great! Good job. And that major was smoking fast (5:33 min miles!)!! In the heat, at his age, wow! Something for an old man like me to strive for. I’m pleased with the response this thread has generated. Who say Jeepers have to be out of shape.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
heat wasnt so bad....

98* was the high...

cloud cover gave way to sand cover........

sand storms :D

must be nice. it was 117 here the other day. I'm gonna miss working nights....however due to the inversion layer it was roughly 100 the other night while flying between 3-1k feet AGL

I just tried this.....now I'm sitting in the back of a speeding ambulance as they try to get my heart started again.

There was a time when I was an athlete.....a looooong time ago...

so i did this in the gym last night.....

ran the initial mile at 9 mph on the treadmill......

10 pull ups

20 push ups

30 squats so my arms could rest

repeat ten times

ran the finial mile at 9 mph.......

36 minutes and 50 seconds

that includes the time it took to walk through the gym to the treadmill and get it started again.

keep in mind i do workouts like this on a daily basis pretty much.

Back