• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

People with rear ZJ disc brakes..

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I may be buying a setup soon and its ready to bolt on (off one 8.25 to another) and I was wondering using these with the stock ('99) and everything, will I really notice the stopping power? I do see mud and water so these should help alot. Also there is no dust shields with them so no e-brake I should be okay right? I'm just trying to make sure this is $$ well spent.

BTW my rear drums don't work, I have 77k miles and the things have never been adj. or shoes replaced :laugh:

There are no dust shields to speak of. The e-brake attaches to the backing plate.

I did the swap basically because I hate drum brakes. It stops very well now. But it's hard for me to compare it to how it was before.

Well, I love mine :)
Compared to new and well adjusted rear drums, there is a small improvement, not huge, but noticeable.. But my drums just would not stay adjusted, no matter how much time and effort went into replacing parts and re-adjusting them. I hated drums :flamemad:

The ZJ disks I put on are smooth, I also grabbed the internals (spring and valve) from the proportioning valve on the donor ZJ and swapped them in, and it made a difference (again, not huge, but noticeable) in the feel and stopping power.

The best thing about them now is they don't get funky in wet weather, and even on a recent wheeling trip where I buried them in deep sticky mud they still gave me no trouble at all. And yes, you can still have an e-brake, I had to play with the cables a bit to get it right, but now the e-brake is fine.

Well worth the time and money IMHO.

It own't help you stop much faster, you'll feel a difference in the pedal though. And if you go through a lot of mud, you won't have to replace pads/shoes every couple months. (The main reason for me switching)

I noticed a considerable difference on mine. My drums were pretty much useless though and I never had a good pedal.

Okay thanks guys, I am getting the setup.

and yeah I meant no backing plates, thats my main issue since I use my parking brake alot.

ZachMan said:
Okay thanks guys, I am getting the setup.

and yeah I meant no backing plates, thats my main issue since I use my parking brake alot.
I might have mine laying around.

Back