• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Peepil ahr stoopud...

Beej

NAXJA Forum User
Checked out an 87 civic this afternoon since I'm looking for a new beater that's cheap on gas. The ad said mag wheels and a new V6. I thought that was odd, but went to see it. The guy, er, kid (about 18) proudly told me he'd bought it because of the hot five spoke mags it had. With a quick glance, I could plainly see they were cheap plastic chrome wheelcovers with obvious black steelies underneath.

I didn't say anything and moved on to the " V6 ". He explained the engine had seized about six months ago and it was replaced by a rebuilt acura V6. I opened the hood and observed a clapped out honda four banger, definitely not new, rebuilt or even cleaned. I couldn't let this go and asked him to count the plug wires. When he got to four, he really started searching for the other two and explained, "but it was a V6 when I bought it!"

Sorry buddy, but no thanks...

What the hell is wrong with people?

Imagine how many people would trust the guy because they had no clue either?

I was looking for a used Honda Prelude a few years back. I looked at one that the guy told me had a "$300 sport muffler" installed. OK, so I looked under the car and found a stright piece of pipe welded in place of the muffler. I just laughed.....

Peepil ahr! In my area the tuner scene is huge, a few are very well put together high dollar, owned by very bright builders. The vast majority, in my humble opinion, are bumbling idiots.
I've seen more cobbled together Civics with coffee can mufflers and 3 foot tall spoilers, mismatched tires and a 100 HP shot of nitrous on a worn out stock motor than a can shake a stick at! Your tale of a "stoopud " kid could have been in my neighborhood.:wstupid:

You have to wonder if he really thought it had the V6 and never looked under the hood. Or maybe he just went over the railroad tracks too fast and the other two cylinders fell out. :wierd:

I used to be a big part of the import show scene in Seattle, showing my car and a friend's car nearly every weekend. We ran into our fair share of uninformed kids who had spent too much time watching The Fast and The Furious, but some of them were just amazingly stupid. The classic moment was when we were filling up to go to the dragstrip in Oregon one morning.

Me - "Hey, uh, fill it with '92, and don't top it off please."
Gas Station Attendant - "That's a sick ride, dude!"

Now, you know you're in for trouble the moment someone refers to your car as "sick" or a "ride."

"Thanks, it gets the job done."
"You guys going racing?"
"Yeah, I don't usually drive around with a pair of wrinklewalls in the back of my car."
"Sweet, I'll be there in my racecar."

Now, if you're smart, you just say 'oh.' or 'cool.' or 'thanks for the gas.' But, I'm not smart.

"Oh? What have you got?"
"Dude, it's sick, I have a twin turbo Cavalier."
"Uh huh."
"Hang on, I'll bring it over so you can check it out."

A smart person would just leave. I am not smart. I had to see this.

Out rolls a primer and green spraypaint-covered mid-nineties Cavalier. Bondo was practically dripping off the bodywork. The front bumper was cracked. The headlights were blue. The taillights were clear. The muffler had melted the rear bumper. It was like someone had rescued GM's aborted fetus out of the dumpster and patched it back together with Bondo and tape.

He pops the hood to reveal a bone stock 2.4L.

"Where's the turbos?"

He points to the intake and exhaust manifolds.

"Right there, dude. Twin turbo. It's so fast that I have to pull the fuse for them to even drive it on the street."
"Mmm hmm. How quick of a quarter do you think it'll run?"
"Oh, it's totally into the 10s. I even hit the 9s one time."

At this point, it was almost painful having to contain my laughter. I wanted to badly to continue toying with him, but I was beyond containing the hilarity at this point. I had to go before I completely crushed his youthful ignorance.

"Wow, well, I'll be back with the slow guys with my 13.2. Guess I'll see you there."

I got in the car, drove out of the lot, and nearly ran off the road I was laughing so hard.

Yeah, it was absolutely classic. I've run into my fair share of winners in the automotive world (the guy who borrowed my 110VAC -> 12VDC converter at a car show, hooked it backwards, fried his ECM, and tried to blame it on me was a fun one). I suppose we all have done or said stupid stuff when we were teenagers to impress people, but still, a turbocharger fuse?

5-90 said:
Erm - since just when do turbochargers have fuses? I've not seen one in the last 30 years or so...

OK - maybe there's a fuse on the wastegate actuator, but "pulling" that fuse would stick the wastegate shut, not allow for reduced/no boost.

EPIC FAIL.

Hey, maybe it's one of those electric ones from eBay? :confused1

I had not heard that Walmart call before. That was painfully funny.:yelclap:

Ba-Riedo said:
and i love men. in my ass

:huh: Atta boy, Alex. Stand up for what you believe in, shout it from a mountain top that you have "pride".:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

2KXJmakinwaves said:
:huh: Atta boy, Alex. Stand up for what you believe in, shout it from a mountain top that you have "pride".:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

That would be my roommmate, he was mad for me waking him up when I went to lunch.

-Alex

Back