• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side AC water condensation problem

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I noticed a bunch of water condensing on and dripping off of the bottom of the AC box on the passenger side today. Mine is an 87, and it is a black plastic box, the one that contains the evaporator and duct work.

I am wondering if I am missing a layer of insulation under that box?

You're probably a little low on Freon. Low charge can cause ice buildup on the evaporator. The ice migrates to the bottom of the box, cools it down, and condensation forms on the outside of the box.

Its been converted to R-134a, the charge and gauge pressures,and temperatures are normal. I am thinking it is missing a layer of cheap plastic covered fiberglass insulation under neath it, but hoping to get confirmation from some one who still has therirs, or had it when it was new.

It did hit about 100 F today at about 90% humidity here.

Ecomike said:
....It did hit about 100 F today at about 90% humidity here.
I new there was a reason I live in the desert!:rof:
It might hit 115 once in a while, but at 15% humidity, who cares!

Ecomike said:
I noticed a bunch of water condensing on and dripping off of the bottom of the AC box on the passenger side today. Mine is an 87, and it is a black plastic box, the one that contains the evaporator and duct work.

I am wondering if I am missing a layer of insulation under that box?

I'm seeing a huge puddle on mine Mike. I'm wondering if it is the high humidity here. It dripped from the passenger side and it was all the way over to the center under the motor. Scary until I checked to see if it was water or oil!

Mudderoy said:
I'm seeing a huge puddle on mine Mike. I'm wondering if it is the high humidity here. It dripped from the passenger side and it was all the way over to the center under the motor. Scary until I checked to see if it was water or oil!

Mine is normally just a few drops in the first 5 minutes, then nothing after that, today it was significant for like 20 minutes. Has me thinking about adding some insulation over the plastic bottom. I did check that mine was recirculating inside air, on Max AC and it was.

I have seen insulation down there on other cars IIRC, which is why I was asking if it had insulation from the factory.

Maybe some of the guys with newer XJs will go check theirs for us today????

So how about it guys? Can some of you check your jeeps toady while your wrenching on them, bottom of the AC box, passenger side to see if any of them came with a layer of insulation under the box?

I just checked my 89 and it has no insulation under the box . I have noticed very humid days that it will have a lot of condensation on the bottom of the plastic box .

Wow did I misunderstand? Is it dripping INSIDE the cab?

Mudderoy said:
Wow did I misunderstand? Is it dripping INSIDE the cab?

Yes like a shower the other day.

dj99xj said:
Grab a plastic straw and clean out the drain on the firewall?? My '84 would rain in the cab all over the wifes feet until I pulled the gunk from the drain out.

I have thought of that, but it has been draining properly, also like a faucet. Also, the interior problem is not a leak / overflow from the inside, it is actually condensation all over the outside of the box, inside the jeep. I will check the drain tube again, but I don't think it was the problem, unless it is draining and backing up cold water about 1/2 deep before draining, and thus chilling the plastic faster. Cold water does transport heat faster than cold air, but i would think when it is draining, it has some cold water in there all the time anyway.

Ecomike said:
I have thought of that, but it has been draining properly, also like a faucet. Also, the interior problem is not a leak / overflow from the inside, it is actually condensation all over the outside of the box, inside the jeep. I will check the drain tube again, but I don't think it was the problem, unless it is draining and backing up cold water about 1/2 deep before draining, and thus chilling the plastic faster. Cold water does transport heat faster than cold air, but i would think when it is draining, it has some cold water in there all the time anyway.

Give the drain cleaning a shot. Otherwise, I feel sorry for your high humidity problem! Dang. I can't imagine the humidity that would cause condensation on the outside of the airbox. :wierd: Maybe cover the box with some foam or that roof anti-iceing insulation (Dynamat knockoff)?

Well it was a clogged drain after all. :doh:

Back