• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts Store Shocks

RCP Phx said:
This is the reality,just spent 3 hours flexing my sons front SOA conversion.Measured 16X, add/subtract all the variables,pick some shocks to start running the numbers on and go from there(ended up w/ rancho 99028"s).

Why would you spend all that time?/ Why not just ask that someone else please tell you what you need? hasta

Here's a link to a .pdf from Monroe that covers all their applications by dimensions, compressed and extended, with part numbers.

http://www.monroe.com/pdf/ShockAbsorberDimensionCharts.pdf

A simple way to determine approximate required dimensions is to take the stock requirement, ~20.5" extended, 13.0" compressed, then add your lift height to the extended measurement. You should then be fine with whatever fits in to those specs.

Try www.partsamerica.com as they will allow you to buy online and pick up at a local store. There are several locations in Maine to do this using Advance Auto Parts.

I, too, have had to make choices like you and I agree that sometimes we do what is needed, not what we want.

ROBERTK said:
Why would you spend all that time?/ Why not just ask that someone else please tell you what you need? hasta
I tried,but the guy at Checker ended up having a seizure!:roflmao: :roflmao:

ROBERTK said:
Why would you spend all that time?/ Why not just ask that someone else please tell you what you need?

Why spend the time when you could just ask on a public FORUM, a place where you ask tech questions about XJs no less. What a foolish idea, asking for help on a forum, especially when you've paid to help support that forum. What on earth was I thinking.

Honestly this thread is what really makes people want to join this organization. Feel the love.

Thanks those that tried to help, guess Ill have to build a flex ramp or cut down some trees to flex on so I can measure since that is sooo much easier than getting help on this forum.

98XJSport said:
Why spend the time when you could just ask on a public FORUM, a place where you ask tech questions about XJs no less. What a foolish idea, asking for help on a forum, especially when you've paid to help support that forum. What on earth was I thinking.

Honestly this thread is what really makes people want to join this organization. Feel the love.

Thanks those that tried to help, guess Ill have to build a flex ramp or cut down some trees to flex on so I can measure since that is sooo much easier than getting help on this forum.

Dude your a f&*&'en moron!

I explained how to research and figure out a Stock Shock that fits a stock application. Kinda like that whole give a fish and you done nothing but work for that person once, but teach em to fish and you just helped them do for them self for live..

But of course if it takes you having to get a little wet for about 2 min of measureing on YOUR rig cause You want a correct fitment shock, then that is what, beyond what think you may have to do to get a correct fitting part for Your rig? :looser:

Yes at first I was a little harsh due to so many variables that you said your not willing to do to help yourself. But then I posted how to spend about 10 min of research, even gave you the link to the largest resource (I believe) of shock info. I know this is not helping you one bit... Because I didnt just come out and say you need Blaw Blaw Blaw.. Reason for not saying that is that I found that someone that cant do research will listen to a "go get XXXXXX" and then when they get it they will be like WTF, unless its a known thing to work. Well the Q you asked is not very common and I have to believe its due to common sense.. Just get the right part the first time.

Again sorry if giving you the means and material, to get the right part for your rig was not helpful... To most thats the best form of help... I cant help it if you wont go out to your rig for 2 min and measure, Nor can you get to Your main pick up location during normal business hours, nor tell you a particular item for you to go buy, that is way out of the norm (monroe's or gabriels on a 4"+ lifted XJ WTF?)...

Good luck on hoping to never having to help someone else, help yourself, in your time of needs....

Dude, there is an "unsubscribe" option on these threads. If he infuriates you so much, why do you keep coming back? If you don't like the way he acts or responds, don't look.

I agree with RobertK on this guys he tried to help the guy (showing him where to find the answer) and he wanted someone to tell him, like you can trust everything your told. I though that was just the right way to do that. I would like it if someone just showed me where to look instead of telling me what they thought. Just me, I guess, but there is no need to bag this guy for giving you the means to find the answer yourself. I guess if you just want to not look at it, or not check into it yourself, then you get what you get. Also you do not have to flex your rig just to get the right length, just put it on a jack/lift and disco the shocks see how far they are at full droop(shock mount to shock mount) then measure them at full comp. WAAA-LAAA you have the numbers you need to find out for yourself what shocks you need. I hope you find what you need, but checking into these things for your self is the best way to learn. Good luck bro ... JOE>

Interesting, I didn't know that telling me to buy these better shocks from a website was such a huge help and amount of work. And then when I said I didn't want to have to mail order them, oh my god what I heathen I am! And better yet when I said thank you for the link, and noted that they didn't have a recommended shock as you said they did in the link you posted, there goes another gasket. Someones had a bad week. It gets even better when I thank those that helped, and try to defend myself the tiniest bit, I get called a moron? Wow it just gets better and better. And 2 mins to unbolt shocks, in the rain, after dark... honestly. And this is like 5 posts after he says he's done with this thread...

Thank you John90XJ, thats the kind of estimate I needed to see if I could find something that would work. Ive been driving on 3" lift shocks for most of a year off and on, never noticed any difference when I went to 4.5" so why change? Just something that gets me close will work fine, it's not a flexer or rock crawler. I just need it to be safe for winter.

98XJSport said:
Thank you John90XJ, thats the kind of estimate I needed to see if I could find something that would work. I just need it to be safe for winter.

Glad I could help....I hope it works out for you.

Back