• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parkway West

JCS JP

NAXJA Forum User
On Monday night my wife recieved a call that a mother will never forget. She found out that a Jeep Grand Cherokee lost a rear tire and it bounced down the road and jump the median and hit the winshield of her daughters car. Her daughter went to the hospital. We had found out that she was brain dead. We were told that her brother and dad were going to pull the plug at 12 PA time.
The reason I am doing this post is because we all have bigger tire than normal. For this reason I want to make sure that everyone knows how important it is to make sure we use the correct parts and torque.

Jeremiah

So sorry for your loss Jeremiah. Definitely tragic and definitely another reason to always encourage folks here to really think about the quality of the parts they're using when lifting/modifying their Jeeps. Some folks feel those that openly criticize others for budget lift compromises are just a-holes...... but there's plenty of sad examples like yours that just go to support this kind of pro-active criticizm of what gets used and how people build their rigs.

I almost deleted this as it looked like you meant to post in your chapter's thread, but I see you carpet-bombed all the chapters with this. Clearly this is important to you and we can certainly respect that.

It is a valid point. How many patently unsafe rigs have you seen over the years? Ones that have steering that is a disaster waiting to land for instance.

Those of us that run wheel spacers, IMO, must use a torque wrench to install both the spacer and the wheel. The OP does not say whether or not the Grand was modified. It could have been a sloppy installation of the stock wheel.

But the point remains. We owe everyone around us to be as safe with the construction of the rigs as is possible. I have no issue with you killing yourself with your unsafe rig, just do not take out anyone else with you.

Sorry for your loss Jeremiah, I have seen a few accidents like this at work. I agree with Troy 100% about making sure your Jeep is safe. This is a reason why Im taking mine into a reputable shop to get a few things fixed before I take it back out on the street and trail.

Thanks everyone. My wife is doing alot better now that time has passed. My wife and I think that it sucks that bad things happen to wonderful people. I had asked my wife before I posted this and she said that her daughter would want to help people.

I will be taking my Jeep into a shop and making sure everything is in order. I have no idea what I would do with myself if I knew I hurt someone else. I am so sorry for your loss. But thank you for puting the word out to have people check their work!

Back