• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting the XJ Desert Tan

It faded over the course of 5-10 years??? If so, that's totally reasonable lol. I've heard you can restore it's original sheen with comet powder cleaner, but that's on urethane matte clear. Don't know how lacquer would hold up to a bleach based product lol.

I painted it about 2 yrs ago, and the fenders look like they're 5-10 yrs older. :D

tan! i have my xj olive drab, walmart bought. its the one that is used for hunting crap,etc.
od looks damn good and i want to paint my mj the tan.
btw about 12 cans or so did mine.

Oh if you can, buy the cheap HF hvlp gun and use paint out of a container, not spray cans. It has a much higher solid count and it more durable. Also won't have to worry about defective spray nozzles and getting a blister on your pointer and middle finger lol.

PIC-0082.jpg

:D
Ok so it's not painted, but I'm planning using Krylon Ultra Flat spraypaint in desert tan, with brown for the hood. I figure that'll help keep glare down while not painting my hood too dark.

With the ultra flat paint, I don't think you're going to have ANY glare at all. That's pretty much what it was designed for. Hunting and stuff.

If you've ever been reading a book and the sun was shining directly onto the pages, it gives you some pretty bright glare. It's not like the glare off of glass or a mirror, just "reflection" for lack of a better word. Think of the moon, it's pretty flat, no shiny stuff, but it reflects a lot of light back at us from the sun. :)

If you've ever been reading a book and the sun was shining directly onto the pages, it gives you some pretty bright glare. It's not like the glare off of glass or a mirror, just "reflection" for lack of a better word. Think of the moon, it's pretty flat, no shiny stuff, but it reflects a lot of light back at us from the sun. :)
i got ya :peace:

Well, I started on it this weekend. Can't find the camera, so no pics at the moment. The roof is almost done, might have to get an even finer sand paper than what I've got to try and smooth some of it. In some spots it's coming out somewhat rough. But, I think I'm going to like the look of my XJ in tan.

One lesson learned though, mask early, you may not think that overspray will and on your windshield, but it will, especially if it's windy. My windshield almost looks like I tried painting a visor on it thanks to the overspray from the roof. And it wasn't even from trying to hit the front of the roof, It was from almost a foot back on the roof. Anyone have a good method for removing paint from glass? :D

i like the idea of a slightly darker tan on the hood. are you planning on a coyote brown for that? it would look killer with the bumpers, trim and wheels painted to match the hood

I'm thinking just the brown camo from Krylon. I think I'll do just the raised section of the hood brown, I haven't decided on the bumpers yet. I think the rear will match the Jeep (tan) and maybe do the front in black with the sliders either brown or tan.

Back