• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pace Setter Header Yoke hits

Twilightoptics

NAXJA Forum User
So I just installed the Pace Setter header on my girlfriend's '87 XJ. Went for a drive and upon braking and turning the front axle yoke beats up the header. I pulled the Y pipe as close to the transmission as I could when I finished welding the exhaust. The Track Bar seems to be in good shape and the brackets aren't loose.

Any ideas? Is this a common problem? She doesn't have the front driveline in yet and I'm seeing that as just making matters worse.

Ciao
-Paul

On my stock height with saggy springs 99 I clearanced my header slightly with a BFH and ground the corners off the yoke. After that it only hit on very hard braking with a heavy passenger riding shotgun.

No the pacesetter headed is the only cheap header out there. On my 98 2wd the pre-cat pipe doesn't fit into the hanger and the pipe rattles as it touches the transmition. It's not that loud and it's only at idle. The absolute worst pacesetter product is the cat back though. The muffler is crap. Sounds terrible and I'm pretty sure wasn't that much better than stock.

I had a similar problem with my Clifford header hitting the driveshaft. My header had to use a y-pipe so I beat the crap out of it with a hammer so it was flattened a bit towards the bottom kinda like the stock down pipe. I also ended up getting a new down pipe made, the guy cut the y-pipe a little and made up a new pipe and tucked it up nicely under the body. I think the pacesetter comes with a downpipe though so I would try flattening it a bit and see if that helps.

yea i did. got a block of wood and a hammer but it still rattles only this time on the support beam that runs underneath the tranny. whoops

Make sure the down pipe is pushed all the way up onto the header. I had the header on my 89, and the down pipe would hit under flex. I had about 6" of lift. So i would imagine it would probably hit on a stock jeep.

Consensus is... This header does suck.

I put on new motor mounts. The Y-Pipe is up on the slip all the way. Cheated the motor to the passenger side. Beat the header with a BFH. STILL rubbed. According to some Jeep sites her Cherokee is sitting at stock height. I ended up shortening the Track bar 1/4".

Now it only rubs under a heavy brake + turn.

3.5" lift will be on the way this week. Then we wont have to worry about it. What a piece of junk. I mean I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but this was BAD.

The only problem I encountered when installing the Pacesetter on my 97 was the front driveshaft yoke hitting just below the y-pipe. Luckily the yoke clearanced the Y pipe just a little with a bang! I just removed the driveshaft untill i get the lift and the LP Dana 44 installed, no more clearance then. The only pain in the ass was the header was ceramic coated and now theres a little ceramic coating on the DS yoke.

Back