• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OX cable length dilemma

R-IK

NAXJA Forum User
Finally I've decided to buy the OX locker to my Dana 35 rear axle. The recommended cable size for XJ is 84".
I would like to get your opinion about the subject and appreciate if you'll add a picture of where you've installed it.
10x, Arik.

84 was what I used. I have pics around here some where. Just search my name for shifter pics. I installed in on the side of my column between my 4x4 shifter and the parking brake. Out of the way and does not interfere with the seat.

edit: here you go.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93044&highlight=ox+shifter

The only difference is now I have it turned side ways so the shift handle point to the door. Totally out of the way, and I don't shift it on the trail. Either on or off.

Re: OX shifter location

Thanks for the information.

I heard that the shifter may overheated when it is located between the 4x4 shifter to the parking break. what is your experience with this one?

What about setting it near the driver's door? is it posible?

Re: OX shifter location

R-IK said:
Thanks for the information.

I heard that the shifter may overheated when it is located between the 4x4 shifter to the parking break. what is your experience with this one?

What about setting it near the driver's door? is it posible?

Never heard about or experienced overheating. It's just metal anyway.

I doubt 84" would be enough to go to the driver door. I did think about it, but then you have to consider entry and exit. Plus you want the straightest cable possible. The place I went into the cabin is a natural little cup, and it was a natural sort of bend in the cable. I fished it under the carpet and came out inside the console. I have zero problems where it is. As usual, you can find a way to make it work by the door, but don't see the advantages to do that. I'm even putting one in up front when I get to it and just figured I would put it forward of the rear, or on the other side of the console.

There is enough room to go more forward a bit, but make sure you are not binding in the rear. If you wanted to go more forward under the dash like, then get a 90". Under the XJ in the rear there is plenty of spare for droop and not in the way anywhere.

Also, as far as the console, just figured I would mount mine to that, but when you take it off, you will see there is no room to do that real well. Wanted to mount it to the tranny hump, but no good way to do that. So I just bent some stainless and made that little plate to mount it flat.Mine is simpler, but I would never claim it is the best. That is a judgment call.

Back