• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overdrive t-case idea?

mad maXJ said:
because read the first post, he's looking at MOG axles which only come with 7-point-something gears.

basically there is going to be major machining involved any way you look at it, I just think it would be easier/cheaper to get adapters made than getting gears made.

at 70 mph on 34s, you'd be tach'ing 3600rpm. the 4.0 can take that, but it would be pushing it a bit, but it could be built fairly easily to really handle those higher rpms. this would definitely be your easiest/cheapest option if you are already needing an engine rebuild.

For the RPM's I'm guessing you're using your 205 231 mating. That doesn't sound all that bad.

I have no idea what the price would be or two new gears compared to an adapter, it can't be much of a difference in my opinion, but I will have to look into that. The gears I feel would be MUCH easier. I can bring in the stock gears and say make these same gears in so and so ratio, and pay them and be done. However, I'm an aspiring engineer, so maybe designing an adapter in solidworks will be a good project for me.

Another option I am thinking about, is getting some dana t-cases(thinking same make would swap better and swap low range gears, (say looking at a dana 300, 20, 18. I know 20 and 18 low range gears swap directly. If the shaft is smaller in one of them, I could just bring that gear to be machined to fit the larger shaft in the 300 t-case, then rehardened. This is just a guess, I've never seen inside any t-case other than a 231, so don't know shaft sizes or anything. I will have to borrow some cases and see what can be done. _nicko_

Back