• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Output shaft on tcase slides, dumps all fluid

Elevate

NAXJA Forum User
99, AX-15, np231, ~4.5" of lift in rear with no SYE. It has been this way for about 2 years. No issues until now.

As I was driving to work this week I smelled something funny that ended up being ATF from my tcase being sprayed on my Cat. I thought it was the rear output seal until I pulled the rear DS and found that my output shaft moves about 3/16 of an inch in and out. Keep in mind that I have not had any leaks or drips from the tcase...

Did I destroy a snap ring that was retaining the mainshaft?

I'm trying to get away with not removing and doing an overhaul on the tcase.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

open it up and look. They are stupid easy to work on. And there is no avoiding it.

Odds are the bearing/seals are shot.

Go buy an SYE and put it in.

First to correct my title, there was about 3/4 of a qt left in the case.

I'm guessing that your suggesting to pull the tcase out. Would a bad bearing or seal cause it to slide out the 1/4"?

Moving forward, I think I need to get a rebuild kit and probably pop for a SYE.

First,I thought all 96&up cases were sealed..ie,no slip yoke into the case extension.(have only autos no 5spd,so no eyes on one)
2-Yes the snap ring holds the shaft in and some play is in the system.But not that much.
3 Time for bearings&seals

Back