• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oregon BCDR

crookedletterd

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone driven any part of the Oregon back country discovery route?
Have any pics?

I want to eventually drive the whole thing but will probably only do route 3 this summer.

Never heard of it, but it sounds fun. I've gone to the McGrew (sp?) Trail (ways from Grants Pass) 2 times back in 93/94. Damn good time!

Want a real off road FOOT adventure ? Try hiking the Pacific trail for about 2 weeks.

You might miss someone for a little while, but you'll soon forget about them.

Best " Pre-marriage " vacation I ever took.

red91inWA said:
Want a real off road FOOT adventure ? Try hiking the Pacific trail for about 2 weeks.

Which part did you do? We always wanted to go from the start of Washington (Bridge of the Gods) up to Whitepass. Never got around to actually doing it but still a goal. Your talking about the Pacific Crest Trail right?

As for Oregon Backcountry thats another one on the to do list. There was a great show on OPB all about it. It would be a great trip and I hope to do part of it someday. Good Luck!

TORX

I have done the PCT from North Cross State Highway (hwy 20) to Steiheken(lake chelan) and back 40 mile short hike. Killer trail. Wasn't the Donner party on the Oregon trail?

red91inWA said:

I guess you could say I am doing a small section of that this summer. I will be hiking the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood. Only a 2-3 day hike but still will be a lot of fun. Hiking the Pacific crest trail is something I definitley want to do someday.

back on topic, has anyone done section 4 of the BCDR? It looks like the most feasible path for me to travel. I'm planning a lift, winch, front/rear bumpers, and safari rack, but for now would this be doable in my stock XJ?

twardozrally said:
back on topic, has anyone done section 4 of the BCDR? It looks like the most feasible path for me to travel. I'm planning a lift, winch, front/rear bumpers, and safari rack, but for now would this be doable in my stock XJ?

I honestly dont know what to expect . I assume it is mostly dirt/gravel road but who knows. Your stock XJ is probably okay, but who knows there may be some deep water crossings... I will post about my section 3 trip later this summer. The rest of the trail is probably similar.

Im looking to do this trail from walla walla all the way to lakeview, it would be cool if some others wanted to ride along.
For any of you worried about whether you rig is up to it, there ways to bypass every section-as it is almost all logging road.

BTW, planning on leaving in july the sooner the better I just need to fix a few things and by a few things.

Just realized I posted in the older post, i reposted in the newer one :
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=831778#post831778

Last edited:
XJourney said:
I have done the PCT from North Cross State Highway (hwy 20) to Steiheken(lake chelan) and back 40 mile short hike. Killer trail. Wasn't the Donner party on the Oregon trail?

uh no i dont think so....they were tryin to go to cali and got caught in the sierra nevadas.....oregon trail came up a different way, because they had to traverse what used to be a big set of falls (damn i'm from 50 miles from there and cant remember the name) and then still travel down and around mount hood to get to the willamette valley

I've been on parts of route 3. It's not bad at all. I would recommend the Mcgrew Trail for a good weekend run. Very fun trail. Also buy the book on the BCDR, well woth it.

Back