• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to run what is referred to as route 5 of the Oregon backcountry discovery route the week of August 18-24th.

ve5e7ana.jpg

http://www.oohva.org/OBCDR/route5.html

I'll be running it North to South starting in Walla Walla, and ending just South of Lakeview at the California Border.

A stock four wheel drive can complete this, however I am going to post some minimum requirements for this trip.

Required equipment:
Full size spare
Proper gearing for tire size
Functioning and properly tuned CB radio
Tool kit with common spare parts and fluids
Street legal
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher
Secured battery
Adequate camping gear
Ability to properly secure your cargo

Recommended equipment:
On board air
Off-road lighting
Skid plates
AAA
GPS

The most important thing to have is a reliable vehicle. A trip like this can be very hard on a rig. Miles of very rough roads will shake, jar, and rattle your suspension and the vehicle and cause extra stress and wear on suspension components. There will also be long climbs in 90*+ weather so your rig needs to be in good working order with proper maintance done BEFORE the trip. I don't want to spend any time on the side of the road due to poor maintance. I'll be going through my rig with a fine toothed comb before the trip and I'd recommend everyone else do the same.

I like to keep this to 3-5 rigs, if there is more than that we can split into 2 groups.

What does this trip go through? Like what kind of things are to be seen? Be very interested. Just hoping it be something like the fall city to Lincoln city one

ill be driving with 31" and 3.55 gears, is that a acceptable gearing for you? just wanted to know before showing up and not being able to go.... lol

ill be driving with 31" and 3.55 gears, is that a acceptable gearing for you? just wanted to know before showing up and not being able to go.... lol

That a good question, I was kinda wondering the same thing? How does one define proper gearing? Some find 31's and 307's fine. Others think that's just crazy! Some use 33's and 355's or find 35's and 410's work fine for them, when other prefer 35's and 512's or 31' and 456's.

How does one person look at another and say, your gearing blows your not going. Bye!

That a good question, I was kinda wondering the same thing? How does one define proper gearing? Some find 31's and 307's fine. Others think that's just crazy! Some use 33's and 355's or find 35's and 410's work fine for them, when other prefer 35's and 512's or 31' and 456's.

How does one person look at another and say, your gearing blows your not going. Bye!
It's pretty self explanitory.. 35"s on stock gearing.. 39.5s on 4.10s

:rtm:

I posted that you have to have to have proper gearing to tire size as a requirement for the run. I wrote that because my main concern with anyone coming with me is reliability. We will be pulling long steep grades in Jeeps loaded with gear with high ambient temperatures. Is a properly geared rig better equipped to do that? Yes.

Running big tires and stock gears also says to me, unreliable and probably poorly maintained. My opinion.

Is 3.55s and 31" tires okay? Probably. My question would be is your Jeep reliable and ready for this sort of trip?

it will be lol, i drive 15 miles every night on very very pooorly kept gravel roads(pot holes, washboards, ruts) that are steep up and down hills, and i dont drive slow lol, all the ball joints, u-joints are looking great, engine is strong, doesn't leak oil amazingly, body is straight, coolant system is great, axles are great, joints/bushings are in mid-great shape, transmission is strong, etc.. . i have full faith in my jeep that it can take on a trip, all i really need to do right now is replace my steering box with a yj box, replace the transfer case chain, and find either 30" or 31" m/t or aggressive a/t tires, and if i can do it, make some half doors with soft tops

Last edited:
If it makes ya feel better, if I don't feel like my jeep is capable/ready/fit to do this, ill back out. There's no worries about me rushing and missing key things and going out unprepared. If I don't have faith in my jeep, I'm not going to put that burden/annoyance with you guys lol

I'm also in the red.

Bump.

Also, I've got an open seat if you meet these requirements you can ride with me.

Not a tool
Over 21
Male
Down to party
Can read a map
No outstanding warrants in Oregon, Washington, or California.

A good way to decide if you think your rig is capable. Your mom (or grandma) calls you up, needs to drive to LA and back and wants to borrow the Jeep. If you're 90% comfortable handing her the keys with zero "if xx happens, then do yy" then your Jeep isn't capable of this type of trip.

Back