• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ORAF 500 race reports

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
For those of us living vicariously through the internet how bout some race reports.

NRT, Fat City, Brendan, who else did I forget? How did you guys do?

Come on dude! Give 'em a chance to catch their breath! They're probably still out in the desert picking up the shrapnel.

Quote from Clive on Jeepspeed.com

Do not have official results from MORE yet but we can tell you we had 20 starters. 5 x 3700s and 15 x 1700s.
ATK Jeepspeed Challenge Class 1700 winner Eric Helgison driving on a broken rear spring passing Perry Coan in the last 4 miles. 3rd Clint Malburg. Last car to finish Nissley family, and last but one Eric Filar. First in Jeepspeed Mopar Cup Class 3700 Jon Krellwitz, 2nd Tom Barnett, 3rd Rather family. More news when we get it.

No report since I left at dark. But I got some pics.

876227982_eCgnE-XL.jpg

876227987_Tv6ZN-XL.jpg

876227946_Ufdfb-XL.jpg

876228330_qHybw-XL.jpg

876228419_YShFG-XL.jpg

876512062_NshvM-XL.jpg

876517700_szYen-XL.jpg

876517761_xVWvh-XL.jpg

No report since I left at dark. But I got some pics.
876517700_szYen-XL.jpg
Nice pic!

Copy and paste from my chase thread... I will probably make up a better report when I feel more alive later in the week.

Thanks everyone that helped out. We had a rough first lap, flat tire, dead battery, and we lost our antenna. We got our antenna fixed at mm35 were Travis, of specialty race prep was waiting on us. They jump on the antenna issue and within 10 minutes we were off. The second half of the course actually went pretty smoothly, though the steering was getting a bit sloppy. We made main pit in 3.5 hours (?) or so with our issues. Mike Barrnett of T&J hopped right on the track bar issue and tightened it up and we were off. We were much smoother on our second lap through the first 11 miles, and the engine bogged down and we got stuck in the sand (with in 5 feet of where we had our flat tire, mm11). a spectator came over and helped us our and we were moving again. Coming through mm18 the engine was backfiring and sputtering, roughly at mm24 it stalled out on us and wouldn't restart for 5 or so minutes, which was pretty scary as we were still partially on the track. We got it started and off the track where it died again.
We radioed into main that we were done and Gerr started heading our direction. We got the Jeep started again and decided to limp back to mm18 where we had some friends that would lend us a hand and see if we could get it running again.
There is an obvious clog in the cooling system as the lower rad hose would collapse as soon as a load was put to it. It also ended up with a no spark issue, where we would crank and crank and nothing. I sent John, my co-driver, back to main for the trailer... End of the day!!

sooo seeexxxyyyy I WANTTT

well i didnt go to the race but i did see this and a few class 1's on my way home from kennedy medows.... made me so jealous to see this on the freeway..... cant wait to get back in my jeep!!!!

GREAT PICS GUYS!!!!

haha oh yea?

Ya,
He was pitted next to us. He went end over end a few time and finished with some barrel rolls.
Cage was broken in a couple spots. Missing the right front everything. Pretty mangeled but probably salvagable...
From the looks of it we were pretty surprised no one got a helocopter ride...

Last edited:
Back