• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions wanted

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in a pickle. The new/used supercharger I just paid $300 for is crap and needs a complete rebuild to be usable, which costs something like $800-$900. I don't have that kind of money and won't anytime soon. (I had to spend Christmas money ahead of time to buy that blower as it was)

There is a high chance I will be selling my rig come summertime no matter what.

Do I:
- Rip out the entire supercharger setup and sell it, and revert the engine to essentially stock?
- Keep it as it is and sell it later with a bad blower?
- Something else?

I'm curious what y'all think.

Prevailing wisdom says "Plan A:"
You never get your return on highly modified equipment.
Working is easier to sell v.s. non-working equipment.

Unless, of course, you find that one individual P.T. Barnum was talking about...

What's wrong with it. We were just discussing these the other night at work. The other guys said he thought the bearing kits were super cheap. He had an m62 laying around that needed rebuilt

What's wrong with it. We were just discussing these the other night at work. The other guys said he thought the bearing kits were super cheap. He had an m62 laying around that needed rebuilt

Bearing kits for the front drive / nose / snout are not expensive. I have one for my replacement M90. The problem that happens when a unit gets to a certain mileage is that the seals in the rotor plate between the rotors and the drive gears start to fail, causing oil to leak from the drive section into the rotor section. This is what has happened with mine (both of them).

I'd be fine with doing the work myself but it's something that requires special jigs to do right. They are easy to take apart, but super hard to put back together correctly. Everything is press fit together, with no indexing, and it all has to be lined up to within less than half a degree and 0.005".

For illustration:
Part order of the rotor plate assembly is drive gear <> rotor plate <> bearing <> seal <> rotor.
(Not my supercharger, those are M62's, but they are very similar)
comparison.jpg

Well, thanks for the opinions guys. I think at this point I'm going to sit on it for a while since I need it as a DD for my wife for a couple months, then I'll reassess where I sit financially at that point. I might be a little skewed in my view, but I'd rather sell it as a somewhat unique supercharged XJ than as a beat-up generic lifted XJ. But if the money isn't there I'll rip it all apart and get what I can get.

I don't really want to sell the rig but it just doesn't make a lot of realistic sense to us anymore. I'm at the motocross track 30+ weekends a year, so the chances of me getting out on a trail are really low.

Back