• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on welders, 220 or 110.

http://www.weldersupply.com/P/538/ThermalArcFabricator181i this seems like an awesome deal even though i know nothing about this machine.

They get good reviews. And that looks like a pretty good deal. better than the prices up here but I'm in Canada so everyone messes with pricing once stuff comes across the border.

Like I said in a previous post, I'd be interested to try one out. The specs look really good on it and it's a tidy all-in-one package.

Keep in mind if you wanted to do tig with it that you'd have to buy that torch separately and maybe a foot pedal too. So out of the box it does mig/stick but you have to option to add tig later.

That Fabricator 181 is a great machine. I have the 252i version which has more power but basically the same unit. I also have owned one of their TIG machines for years and it has never let me down. It is an inverter machine and has very advanced features. It will be many years before you "grow out" of that unit, if ever. The price is unbelievable. The big guys don't have anything even close in price vs features.

Since people are throwing some creds around, here is my background: Welding Engineer in research and development at Caterpillar Inc... One of my jobs is to evaluate power supplies, their new features (typically advanced wave form tech but also standard CV), robustness of construction (both wire feeder and power source) and of course arc stability and subsequent weld quality, amongst others. Since CAT is the puts more weld down than any other single company in the world, I have had quite a bit of interaction with power supply manufacturers and the equipment they are peddling.

In the arena of basic CV (Constant Voltage) power supplies there are only two big players that produce systems that are consistently up to par: Lincoln and Miller (big surprise there). It should be noted that Hobart is owned by ITW (Illinois Tool Works), who also owns Miller, and their machines contain miller internals.

As for brand specifics, All three (really two) are very capable and build good products. The Lincoln and Hobart offerings are probably the most comparable because they don't have any "advanced" features such as Miller's AutoSet. I have personally used the AutoSet, and was really very impressed by its ability to produce a stable arc while I was purposefully changing my contact tip to work distance and travel/work angles out of their optimum ranges. In a nutshell the AutoSet allows welders with less skill to produce decent welds. The Hobart and Lincolns are also fully capable of producing great welds, given the operator can tune the arc and has the necessary skill.

Now that its narrowed down to the same three, I will agree with the many others here that say get a 220V setup. A little extra heat input is always handy to get that little bit of extra penetration on a large fillet weld. or when welding thicker materials that have a larger heatsink effect. I know its been said, but I'll say it again: you can always turn down a larger machine, and run small dia wire for thin materials... the same cannot be said for a small machine. Also, in my experience, the higher output machines have a much more stable usable range.

All that said: Pick a 220V, Quality machine that fits your budget... but attempt to only do it once, so maybe save to get the one you really want.

Good info pretty much made my mind up on 3 choices just gotta figure out which one. the hobart 190 lincoln 180 or thermal arc 181. Seems like i cant go wrong but still trying to research.

I just picked up a Miller 211, it burns way hotter than the Miller 130XP it replaced.

I was looking at the 211 Autoset vs the Hobart Handler 210 MVP. And here's the reason, I can take it to the desert and use it with my RV generator. I've got 220 in the garage, but swapping over to 110v is a nice "added" feature. I found the local welding supply shop (westair) in San Diego was with-in $50 on price I found it online and he gave me a free 100cf bottle refill to offset the sales tax.

Like everyone has said on here, you will always wish for a little hotter weld if you have a 110v machine.

I would stick with something you can get local support for that a welding supply place would carry. So stay with Miller, Hobart, Lincoln. I would say avoid the ones carried by home depot, couple of my neighbors have the Home Depot lincolns and have had to take them back.

If you're not in a hurry, save the extra and go for the Miller 211 or Hobart 210mvp. Dual voltage is nice. Also, watch the local classifieds, there's some good deals to be had. A miller 172,175,180's can be had in your price range.

Northern Tool has the Hobart 210MVP for $850 shipped.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200479230_200479230

Last edited:
Look into a factory reconditioned Hobart. Tool King has them sometimes as does Amazon.

I scored a Hobart 210mvp (120 and 240) Reconditioned A Stock for $550 (plus free 2 day shipping) last year in April. Inventory on reconditioned stuff varies, but if you wait and keep your eye open that was the best deal I could find.

I have yet to get a bottle, but have had good luck running the .030" flux core. Most of my bumpers and stuff were all done with the Handler 140 I had previously. That said, I have yet to do any thin sheet metal work.

After comparing everything in my price range and looking at what I actually need I was going to go with the thermal arc 181i I can get it for 700 shipped with a free auto darkening helmet and I might even be able to get it discounted.

I just picked up a Miller 211, it burns way hotter than the Miller 130XP it replaced.

I was looking at the 211 Autoset vs the Hobart Handler 210 MVP. And here's the reason, I can take it to the desert and use it with my RV generator. I've got 220 in the garage, but swapping over to 110v is a nice "added" feature. I found the local welding supply shop (westair) in San Diego was with-in $50 on price I found it online and he gave me a free 100cf bottle refill to offset the sales tax.

Like everyone has said on here, you will always wish for a little hotter weld if you have a 110v machine.

I would stick with something you can get local support for that a welding supply place would carry. So stay with Miller, Hobart, Lincoln. I would say avoid the ones carried by home depot, couple of my neighbors have the Home Depot lincolns and have had to take them back.

If you're not in a hurry, save the extra and go for the Miller 211 or Hobart 210mvp. Dual voltage is nice. Also, watch the local classifieds, there's some good deals to be had. A miller 172,175,180's can be had in your price range.

Northern Tool has the Hobart 210MVP for $850 shipped.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200479230_200479230
2nd on the Miller 211, best machine I have ever use for the kind of stuff we do.

the hobart wouldnt be bad at 850 but the miller is like almost 400 bucks more then the thermal arc with less capabilities and comes with way less stuff. I really dont think i would put the multivoltage to use honestly.

I've welded up to 1/2" steel with my lincoln 175hd(multiple passes) and no complaints. Found it on craigslist with cart and 80cf bottle for $550. Just bought the 0.45 liner kit in order to weld 1/4"+ a little better with fewer passes, but haven't used it yet.

If it is Hot we're you live you may want to consider that. I had a Lincoln mig 220v that I had to return because it would not operate in 90 degree temp. I bought a Miller 180 and it has never let me down.

I like using this picture when people ask about my Miller 211.

IMG_2737.jpg

Heavily beveled 1" plate welded to 5/16" plate. I did two passes with my welder maxed out, on each side of the tabs.

I've done some hard pulls on them already with no movement/cracking.

Miller 220 and look at it as a very long term investment as any good tool would be.

Price will be forgotten quickly, quality never will be.

at a premium and I needed every square inch of that shop.

2) I wanted to weld aluminum. A spool gun for the big miller is a LOT more expensive than the small size spool gun and I couldn't justify the excessive cost to get setup to do a small amount if aluminum welding.

So, I ended up selling the 252 and I had enough to buy a new Miller 211, the spoolgun for it, and a new owned (not leased) 80cuft tank of argon. I had to spend 0 dollars out of pocket to get a smaller machine and the capability to weld aluminum. It was a win win for me at the time.

I wish I had be been thinking a bit forward when I bought the Lincoln. I would like a spool gun, for welding aluminum, but there is nothing none what will work with my welder.
If buying today, I would pick a model to allow using a spool gun. Aluminum is becoming much more popular in the off-road world.

Another vote for the Miller 211. We had one at work for welding inside of buildings where 220 was not available and was too far from an entrance to run cables from a welding truck.
I would love to have one to carry in the motorhome, using the generator's 120-VAC output

http://www.weldersupply.com/P/538/ThermalArcFabricator181i
Got a link to the "thermal arc"?
I've dug up as many reviews as I could and I know as a company thermal arc makes good stuff. This would be more then enough for me specially with mig tig and stick and being able to have 110 isn't that important to me. It has features that even miller or welders near twice the price done have. For 700 shipped with free welding helmet and everything else... 3 year warranty it seems like a deal.

When I buy a welder it's going to be a Millermatic 252.

It's $2,800 and it's worth every penny in my opinion. It's not something I'm going to use once and never use again. It's something I'm going to be using for the rest of my life and to me it's worth that initial payment to have something I know is an awesome machine.

I bought a $300 Lincoln Sp-100 off craigslist and it honestly wasn't enough power from the start. It just doesn't cut it. It's awesome for body work but anything structural I won't even attempt. I'll use the welder at work because I know that'll penetrate.

Tldr; save as much money as you can and buy a nice welder. You own a jeep. You won't regret it.

The welders im looking at already are nice plenty strong enough and will last forever. regardless if its a dual voltage, autoset miller or whatever. I dont need that really. If anything breaks ill have a 3 year warranty or so and i know a local shop who fixes electrical stuff like this. If i ran into a situation where i needed a really strong welder i got that covered, my dad has a real powerful little 4 cyl stick welder.

Last edited:
Back