• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open Wheeling in Crozet -- August 5th and 6th Weekend

Open Wheeling in Crozet -- August 5th and 6th Weekend

http://forums.xjsrule.com/viewtopic.php?t=132

Please remember that we are CLOSED and NOT open to the public at all other time unless you made plans with Chris or Heather. Thank you.

When is the event?

Friday, August 4th setup camp anytime after 4:00PM
Saturday, August 5th 8:30 AM wheeling
Sunday, August 6th 8:30 AM wheeling
Depart by 5:00PM August 6th or earlier.

Where is the event?

The event will be held in Crozet, VA. Please check http://forums.xjsrule.com/viewtopic.php?t=119 for directions. For any
questions regarding the event, please contact Chris Packard at [email protected].

What is the event?

We will have guided wheeling of all level trails and a large bonfire each night. Primitive on-site camping is available. If desired/needed, we will separate tenting areas for noise control.

Who can participate?

Members of clubs or individuals with no club affiliation are welcome. This event is limited to the first 40 rigs that sign-up via e-mail to [email protected]. Participants are being asked to pre-register via e-mail for this event to confirm a space.

What types of trails will be wheeled?

We will have guides available for all levels of trails (blues - stock to some mods; blacks - 33's or larger, at least one locker, etc.; reds - if you have to ask...). Participants will choose trail levels on a daily basis (i.e. can run blues one day, blacks the next, and vice versa).

What is the cost for the event?

$25/day per vehicle (no passenger fee), $40/2-day weekend per vehicle
(no passenger fee).

NO DRINKING OF ALCOHOL ALLOWED during the trail rides. You may drink after you are done wheeling. Alcohol is allowed in the campsites.

I'm signed up for Sunday. Anyone else in?

Am I going to be the only NAXJA sticker there? Sure would be nice to meet some of you folks in person.

Post up and let us know if you're planning to go. I'll be there Sunday ready to wheel.

Sounds good. If I have enough fun I'm planning on making the entire weekend next month. Too hot to tent camp in August, but no so in September.

going on sunday suckers!! wahoo!!! FINALLY!!!! work is taking the leash off this weekend and I'm definately making a run for it, so who else is going? FITCH!!!! can you make it bud? I've never been and I'm not sure what trails I'll be able to run, but hopefully it'll be a blast either way.

53guy said:
going on sunday suckers!! wahoo!!! FINALLY!!!! work is taking the leash off this weekend and I'm definately making a run for it, so who else is going? FITCH!!!! can you make it bud? I've never been and I'm not sure what trails I'll be able to run, but hopefully it'll be a blast either way.

Cause you arent locked the blacks might be a bit tough, but I think you can pull it off if the ground is dry. Even the blues are tough, I got my rockers pretty good and I was taking the easy blue lines. If you get bored just tell your trail guide and he can make it better, there is ALWAYS a harder line! Have a good time out there and take a ton of pics.

sp4mike said:
Cause you arent locked the blacks might be a bit tough, but I think you can pull it off if the ground is dry. Even the blues are tough, I got my rockers pretty good and I was taking the easy blue lines. If you get bored just tell your trail guide and he can make it better, there is ALWAYS a harder line! Have a good time out there and take a ton of pics.

So locked is the way to go? Glad I got both ends locked, skids, and rock sliders.

I've got a fresh D44 rear (overhauled within the last 2 months), D30 non-disco w/297 joints (overhauled at the same time), 231 w/PORC sye and front shaft (all new u-joints, bearings and seals within 4 months) and a conservative driving style. I can tend to drive conservative with a lock-rite rear and Aussie front. Is there a possibility of breaking much? What spares, besides tire, should I bring?

Looking forward to testing what I'm made of. I feel pretty confident the Jeep will handle it, it's my own skill level that I have no real benchmark for. Most on my wheeling has been GWNF and typically alone so I've always taken it easy.

Look forward to meeting/seeing you there 53guy.

Rich

are you going to be bringing anyone rich? i'm kinda being retarded on this run, as i haven't installed my sliders yet, don't have anything locked, d44 is still in peices, spare shafts are in a buddys jeep in new york, but i have my tools!! lol, and i've got the wife coming as well, so that should be fun. i'm not going to be doing anything i know i can't do and i'm damn sure not going to be doing anything that might break stuff as i have to drive to work monday. :laugh3: this should be fun though. i'm trying to get abacus to go, but I'm not sure if he's got the day off or not. where do you live at rich?

ok, so i just found Rhoadesville.....you're like 30 minutes from me. awesome.

The possibility of breakage is all up to you, but if you are really worried about it I would stick to GWNF. Crozet will test everything you have, or not test anything at all (the driveway is a high green trail). Good luck on keeping your rockers straight Nick!

I would reccomend to at least have some spare shafts. But it's all up to your driving style and the level of trail you take. It is nicely organized when the run gets going, there will be a drivers meeting and they will say who is leading what group so you can get with him and hit the trail. If you start on blue and are not getting a challenge just say so, they will hook you up with the guys on blacks. There are a ton of trails out there but they are all about a 15 min. walk from camp so you can run blue for an hour and jump to red as you pass their trails. It is really a great place.

Im not going because my t-case is in pieces. The snap ring and washer that hold my planetary gears on the input gear took a poop, so Ill be out until the parts get here. Ill be at the next Crozet run for sure, with kids in tow!

53guy: You found it eh? Beautiful country, too bad I have to commute to Springfield 5 days a week :puke: at least until DSS moves out to Quantico, then I'll be set :yelclap: I've got my buddy/spotter coming to ride shotgun. He's looking to check it out before he goes too (ah yes, the guinea pig again...) The kids will be with their mother since this is "boring" to them.

I look forward to meeting you. I plan on pulling out around 0630 so I make damned sure not to miss the beginning of the festivities :D.

sp4mike: I'm not overly concerned about breakage, I'm fortunate enough that this isn't my DD, and like I said, I tend to work my way up to the harder stuff. I just like to worry unnecessarily. I'll bring along my spare front shafts (old small u-joints but if I've got 'em I'll probably never use 'em), start off easy and get progressively more challenging as I see fit.

It's just a bit intimidating when a key thread on the Chris's site is the flopped list...:shocked: . Looking forward to testing what I'm made of and having a blast doing it.

See you, 53guy tomorrow, sp4mike in September. Good luck with the TCase.

Rich

53guy, did you want to meet up somewhere and caravan on over? I've been out there once, making sure I had the directions right, so I kind of know where I'm going. We can muster at the local convenience store or something. PM me if you want and I'll give you my number.

Rich

Just got back, had a blast, here are some picts. Also, more are at the linky in my signature under the Crozet album... The only damage was a broken steering linkage (trail leaders yoda), few scraped up peices of body armor, two small dents in rocker panels, one dented up quarter panel, and a popped flare.....enjoy....

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

The pics look great Nick. Randy and I had a total blast. Randy has the pics and videos burned to a CD and I'll get them all posted up tomorrow night, time permitting.

Great to meet the folks and test the old rig, and operator. I WILL be doing that again soon.

Thanks to Chris and the rest of the folks we met today for a great time and excellent venue. I could spend a month in there just trying different lines. It's just whay I've been looking for.

yeah, no prob. if you need that avitar, let me know if you have a picture that you'd like to be and i can make it up for you if you don't have the resources.

I'll be doing up a new avatar as soon as I decide which image would be best. I still haven't seen what Randy captured. Apparently he got some pretty good shots of you coming down Gauntlet.

I'll try to get it up on Photobucket this week.

awesome, looking forward to seeing them in the near future! I got a video of the sammy by the way, its on my fototime site in the link.

Finally got the pics and video from Sunday uploaded to photobucket and the funny thing is that in all of those Randy only got 1 pic of me. I'll have to talk to him about that.

Some highlights include,

Nick (53guy) picks a bad line down the rock and gets some help keeping it "shiny-side up"

NickJeepwstrap2.jpg

Yellow Unlimited (not sure I ever got his name) picks a better line....

CJ8downhill3.jpg

Nick picking a better line down the Gauntlet...

NickJeepgauntlettrail5.jpg

A blue TJ (man I'm bad with names) trying to get up a steep rock face...

Tjfromtopofrock2.jpg

and his reward for backing off...

TJexhaustpipetaco.jpg

Paul, in a sick leaf sprung solid front S10, coming up the same rock...

S10steeprock2.jpg

And some videos

Paul going up...http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/non-stick/?action=view&current=S10upsteephill2.flv

Me coming down...http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/non-stick/?action=view&current=Jeepviddownsteephill.flv

Nick on the first tight spot... http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/non-stick/?action=view&current=NickJeepVid1strockcrawl.flv

See them all here http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/non-stick/

It was more fun than images on a little screen can illustrate. Thanks again to all who played along.

non-stick said:
Some highlights include,

Nick (53guy) picks a bad line down the rock and gets some help keeping it "shiny-side up"

NickJeepwstrap2.jpg

I choose to think I took a harder line than straight down, but hey, I still needed a strap. :helpme:

Back