• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One step forward or two back?

advrider

NAXJA Forum User
:doh:

A little background. 98' XJ, installed RE full-pack 3.5 Flex (added .75 coil spring pads for level), full SYE kit (not H&T), RE driveshaft, RE Trackbar, dropped steering arm, and re-geared D35/D30 to 4.10. After all this it drove fine, but was just harsh. I got the crazy idea of adding RE DB's and adjustable UCA's, which are now in it, but the combination of the slightly longer aftermarket RE lower CA's and the DB's shoved the axle and inch or more forward, which presents clearance issues and an overly extended front driveshaft. We haven't had time to align it yet, but I'm thinking the adj. UCA's are also to long to get the caster right, even when at they're shortest, so they may require shortening of the threaded shaft. I could also get some of the length back out if I remove the factory adjustment shoes from the LCA's, but fear the arm could then slide in the slot on the DB's.

So, after looking at new Rubicon Unlimiteds and choking on the ridiculous price, I've decided to sink some $$ into the XJ. Would y'all recommend gutting the whole thing and going back with a long-arm system, or would working with what I have be feasible? In the long run I want this thing dead-on reliable as a DD, smooth and stable on the highway, and capable of all but abusive off-roading. Axle upgrades are in the works already :sad1:

I run Around 4.25" up front (3.5" RE coils + spacer) with standard control arms & RC drop brackets, The Drop Brackets s are the best investment I have made in the suspension, The truck rides near stock.
If I were you I would go back to the standard length upper/Lower control arms and be done with it, The Long arm upgrade is another good but very very expensive option.

Go with a 3 link and don't look back.

I run Around 4.25" up front (3.5" RE coils + spacer) with standard control arms & RC drop brackets, The Drop Brackets s are the best investment I have made in the suspension, The truck rides near stock.
If I were you I would go back to the standard length upper/Lower control arms and be done with it, The Long arm upgrade is another good but very very expensive option.

After some late searching, I see this is a common hasta question. Looks like my lower CA's are just a hair long, but the adjustable UCA's are an inch to long, which it rotating everything forward. I'm thinking the RE adj. UCA's will just need cut down, as there's an inch of thread showing at their shortest.

Last edited:
I would reuse your factory arms, and send the adjustables back to RE. I have been running stock uppers with Rusty's fixed lowers on a 4.5" spring pack kit, and no issues at all. Runs better than factory. You may in the future want to go over 4.5", say to 6" and then you could use the adjustable uppers at that point. Did you measure the difference between the factory uppers and the RE adjustables?

After some late searching, I see this is a common hasta question. Looks like my lower CA's are just a hair long, but the adjustable UCA's are an inch to long, which it rotating everything forward. I'm thinking the RE adj. UCA's will just need cut down, as there's an inch of thread showing at their shortest.

i bought RE adjustable and they were too long and i dont have drop brackets. i cut 1" of threads off and installed them. 5 years and no problems.

it depends on how big you really want to go with your truck. if you dont want to go over 6" or so then stay with short arms. for me personally i love long arms i have the teraflex long arms with a custom 11" lift.. but then you have to figure out if you have the time and money to do it since you run into things you dont expect like cutting the crossmember extending drive shafts brake lines etc. IMO its worth it the end but its also not cheap

I would reuse your factory arms, and send the adjustables back to RE...... Did you measure the difference between the factory uppers and the RE adjustables?

Can't reuse anything, as all our scrap metal gets hauled off every week and everything factory is gone. I found the CA measurement chart in another thread and ended up cutting an inch off my adj. uppers, while the lowers will be ok at less than 1/4 inch longer than stock. We'll see what the alignment looks like in the morning, which will help decide my direction. I need it together for a Colorado wheeling trip next month, so I'll give what I've got a good run before deciding if a 3-link is in the future.

Can't reuse anything, as all our scrap metal gets hauled off every week and everything factory is gone. I found the CA measurement chart in another thread and ended up cutting an inch off my adj. uppers, while the lowers will be ok at less than 1/4 inch longer than stock. We'll see what the alignment looks like in the morning, which will help decide my direction. I need it together for a Colorado wheeling trip next month, so I'll give what I've got a good run before deciding if a 3-link is in the future.

That sux that you don't have the origionals, but if you cut them you are set then.. I am jealous, colorado trail ride next month. That would be awesome.. have fun and good luck in the morning...

i have the same lift, same arms and drop brackets, and even the same spacer from RE and the adjustable arms worked perfectly fine for me to maintain my factory wheelbase and have the correct adjustability for caster. Id take the factory alignment shims out

once everything was in-its exactly what you are looking for

Back