• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One of the worst cages I've ever seen.

It looks like its on the Golden Spike Trail. That right?

Also, I'm still a bit puzzled why he even flipped. Is he geared so high that he had to be driving that fast? That wouldn't even be an issue with a XJ do to the wheelbase.
Any ideas ?
He is lucky that he didn't break his leg. For those of you that saw the former video post "Tracy's Roll" where she flipped going up Hell's Gate. Her cage didn't collapse even tho she rolled 4 times.

I watched it 4 times and still can't figure out which obstacle this is......sure looks like Spike terrain though. It appears that he's attempting a side obstacle that is not part of the designated trail. Lucky his leg didn't wind up like the A pillar.

Lot's of reasons why he rolled, poor choice of line, inexperienced spotter, too much momentum/tall gears/stall and short wheelbase on an offcamber climb.......zigging when he should have zagged......glad he's OK.

Last edited:
Looks like the front of the cage was only tied into the body and not down into the frame. The guy was a dope, no question about it, but that is one badly lame roll cage also.

Beezil said:
how can you say this?

the cage didn't do its job at all!

the a-pillar and spreaders might as well not have been there at all. They didn't contribute ANYTHING. The fact that that guy walked away has to do with LUCK.

if the cage "did its job" the cage wouldn't need to be REPAIRED. I've rolled 4 times. The first time was without a cage, and the a-pillars were toast. The next three times are all on the cage that I have now. and one roll in particular, was 3 times as had as the first. my cage didn't tweak at all.

***THAT*** is "doing its job.

A cage/metal should make it so if there is a roll the driver/passenger will walk away from what THAT roll did. If there was no cage he would be dead.

You can't build a cage for ALL situations. I would want the cage to absorb some of a hard impact like that one did. It will slow the impact on you body. That was some hard ground that hit on, ROCK!

Beezil all you rolls have been in a dirt/rock situation. When it happens on solid rock from a drop off, you will have damage to fix, even on your jungle jim!

It's only metal it will bend.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Beezil all you rolls have been in a dirt/rock situation. When it happens on solid rock from a drop off, you will have damage to fix, even on your jungle jim!

It's only metal it will bend.

hinkley

nope, the hardest roll I've done has been rolling off of a rock ledge sideways, downward onto across the a-pillar and onto the roof,on top of even more rock, complete with a few protruding boulders... very similar to this roll here.

you cannot argue that this guys bozo a-pillar add-on did ANYTHING. The outcome would have been the same with a stock b-pillar.....that a pillar add-on is a complete joke.

this cannot be debated, and you sound like a fool trying to make *any* defense for the designer/fabricator of that shitass cage.

Beezil said:
this cannot be debated, and you sound like a fool trying to make *any* defense for the designer/fabricator of that shitass cage.

The guy walked away, you're right, no debate, the cage did it's job.

What more of a job should a cage do than save your life?

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:

hinkley
Guys walk away from rolls without cages. WTF does that prove?

Fullsizexj said:
here is a link where the driver of the jeep talks about it
cage story
See, it's actually a great cage. He was able to just winch it right back in shape.
Seriously, though, THAT is how he walked away from it. He managed to lay on his side to keep from getting crushed. Basically the same thing he would have to do to walk away from a roll with no cage.

Mark Hinkley said:

hinkley

you are missing the point.

the STOCK hoop, or the b-pillar hoop did its job. the a-pillar portion FAILED TERRIBLY. If he had been leaning forward in the cabin, he'd be coyotefood right now.

LUCK saved the guys life. The cage is flawed because it gives its owners a totally FALSE sense of secuirty by giving them the impression that the extremely important A-pillar portion of the cage is there for a reason. The designer/fabricator should have SERIOUS CONCERNS with continuing to sell that cage as-is......I call it a "sport cage".....its all-looks.

the guy walked away because he had a horseshoe up his ass and four leaf clovers in his underpants.

i

Man... For a second there, I thought I was going to see a candidate for Ogrish.com... By the way.. NEVER go to that site. It'll change your life..

The idea that any cage is better than nothing that a lot of people have is dangerous. I'm 6'4" and I don't know how that would have worked out for me. He ducked under the factory roll bar and that was the only part of the cage that held. I think that A pillar just bolts to the firewall.

CW said:
The idea that any cage is better than nothing that a lot of people have is dangerous.

absolutely correct, surprisingly, you will find many inexperienced barkeaters more than willing to debate your statement........endlessly.

CW said:
The idea that any cage is better than nothing that a lot of people have is dangerous.

Absolutely Incorrect!

But this can't be debated, if all you can do is call names! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it can't be built stronger.

Some structure will always be better than none.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Absolutely Incorrect!

But this can't be debated, if all you can do is call names! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it can't be built stronger.

Some structure will always be better than none.

hinkley
If I do hard core wheeling in a TJ a cage is on my list of needs. It wasn't on this guy's list because he thought it was taken care of.
That's what makes this kind of work dangerous. If he doesn't have any cage he takes that into consideration when deciding what trails he should do and, hopefully, plans accordingly. He, obviously, thought he was protected.
I don't do Upper Purgatory even though I might be able to make it. Why, because rolling my XJ isn't an acceptable option. This guy may have backed off from this trail had he known he was unprotected.

kid4lyf said:
This guy may have backed off from this trail had he known he was unprotected.

:dunno: Neither do you and I bet neither does he (or did).

Having a cage has got to be low on a list of should I do this or not do this, peer pressure, ego, and many other things are way higher on that list than a cage.

So what you are saying is a cage is on the level of liquid lockers, just a invisibility builder for most people?

Also, if any cage is dangerous, that isn't built to the hilt, because it makes people do things they wouldn't otherwise do, then you're saying no cage is the safest because we would stay at the mall?????

hinkley

Last edited:
Look at how the cages have evolved for Jeeps. The CJ's cages completely sucked. All they had was a bar that looped around behind ya and the windshield frame. That was it. No side bars. The Jeep in that video was a YJ. In these they added side bars and windsheid frame bars but the roll cage itself wasn't beefy. Then you take the TJ cages. They are pretty much the same as the YJ ones but they are ALOT beefier. Just watch this video again (YJ) and then watch "Tracy Roll" (TJ). Her roll was way worse than this guys and her cage didn't move.

Last edited:
Mark Hinkley said:
:dunno: Neither do you and I bet neither does he (or did).
As I said in my post, yes, I have made judgements like that. I try not to let my ego make contracts my ass can't afford to pay. There are sections that I feel are doable but the price for failure is just too high($-wise or danger-wise). I back down from them. Living to fight another day I guess.
Give me Beezil's rig on those same sections and I'd be giving it everything I had. Why, because the cost for failure is more in the line of, "roll it back over and try again." Most likely, I'm not going to get hurt.
I don't know this guy but he obviously valued self preservation enough to spend money on a cage. He just didn't know how to tell a good one from junk.

XJBill said:
Then you take the TJ cages. They are pretty much the same as the YJ ones but they are ALOT beefier. Just watch this video again (YJ) and then watch "Tracy Roll" (TJ). Her roll was way worse than this guys and her cage didn't move.

The factory 'cage' in my 95 YJ was the exact same as the 97-99 TJ's, down to the tub mounts and all.

Ron

Back