• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

on board air with stock 90 AC compressor?

i got the condensor off but how do i get the box looking thing that has the 2 hoses coming off it? i try to turn the hoses off but the box turns with it. any suggestions?

just finally put a wrench around it and beat it with a hammer. that broke it loose. now i got all the old plumbing out, got to start buying stuff on ebay.

My brother just started doing this on his 89 today, I will take some pics as more starts to happen. We got the idea from cherokee america, however we are doing it a little differently. You can get an almost complete list of parts from him. He goes by BluBy-Usrt4

is he here on naxja as well?

cant find him dont know where to look him up at

just got my pressure switch in the mail. now i need to figure out which clutch wires go to which prong? anyone have a diagram on how to hook up the pressure switch from the clutch wires?

what kind of pressure switch did you buy? i have the viair type and it doesnt matter which is positive and which is negative. it acts as a on/off switch so hook 12v to one prong and hook the a/c clutch wires to the other prong. the a/c clutch is grounded to the block

HTH
-Tim

i also have the viair 110/145 switch. on top of the AC unit, there are the clutch wires that connect to a male prong. does that go one side and the other ran to the battery?

Smittty9785 said:
i also have the viair 110/145 switch. on top of the AC unit, there are the clutch wires that connect to a male prong. does that go one side and the other ran to the battery?

yes sir. i also have a 1990. to test those wires, unplug them from their connector (i think its orange) and tap it to the + on the battery. you should hear the clutch engage :)

-Tim

yes it engages. so the two wires connected to the clutch stay as 1 and get spliced to one side of the switch and the other side is straight to the battery?

wow this is back up with activity. I must have deleted the subscription Ugg.

Well I have a front currie rockjock and rear 14 bolt I am building right now, but the front is a ARb so I need the air.

I went and got a harbor frieght air compressor kit today though. it has the mini oiler, a mini filter, lots of fitting and such and for 19$. Then the viair pressure switch and kilby check valve adn safety valve. And a Viair .5 gallon ball looking tank.

Will get to that project around last week of the month.

Smittty9785 said:
yes it engages. so the two wires connected to the clutch stay as 1 and get spliced to one side of the switch and the other side is straight to the battery?

yea, i cut the jeep end of the connector rather than the compressor end, that way after i spliced it to the connector on the viair switch i could still unplug it. there are two wires because its an electromagnet, they need to stay as one.

-Tim

thank you ill get pics of the system when its all done..

So I just heard an interesting idea on the trail yesterday as I was airing up someone using my stock compressor oba. Use the pcv hose out of the top of the valve cover as the intake for the compressor. Idea being you get automatic oiling. On the trail sometimes the oil runs out on my little sears oiler. I was thinking you could actually port off the PCV so that it would only vent to the compressor when you had the pump turned on. Vacuum switch or solenoid would do it. Interesting notion.

So, I've read up quite a bit about the conversion and have bought almost all the parts i need. but, I still have some "pre-game"questions before the installation. After I get the system evac'd, and I start removing the plumbing, I need to plug the hoses that go to the radiator right? Also, if I remove the condenser, what do I do with all the electrical quick connects? do I just let them hang there? Oh, and do i need to plug the holes that the condenser was hooked up to? Thanks for the write-up guys!
-Dan

Back