• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ok, buy American... but this is redickulous! :(

dogtired

NAXJA Forum User
:nono: hey guys, something I ran across something just right now...

http://www.bulletproofmfg.com/ has their clone of the famous ARB bull bar for the XJ, looks impressive and made in the USA! But their price is outrageous! C'mon! The product I am talkin about is the FF3LWGH that lists for 999 dollars! One thousand freakin dollars for a glorified bumper???? No wonder all our jobs are goin out to other countries! Don't we have an obligation to buy American made products? No wonder we are losin our shirts to foreigners!

ARB has their bumper at about 750 bux, not only they are proven and has the reputation, they are name brand! Sheesh!

So the common guys like us that has to save our pennies any we can and try to buy :patriot: made products, they sure are making it hard for us to buy American! :nono:

Dude, if ya dont like the price, then dont buy it...pretty simple. And the other thing....MODIFIED TECH!

If ya wanna bitch about prices, go to the Non-Tech area.

Fergie

As much as i would like to get mad about the bumper, I won't because they offer a lifetime warranty on them so if you hurt one you get a new one. Not many bumper manafacturers offer this option.-------Kyle

Fergie said:
Dude, if ya dont like the price, then dont buy it...pretty simple. And the other thing....MODIFIED TECH!

If ya wanna bitch about prices, go to the Non-Tech area.

Fergie
sorry Fergie, I apologize, just wanna spread the word out, if you can move this post to the other area, then please do. Thanks man.

$1000 is a ton for a front bumper. The bumpers I am getting are going to be made in America and all the steel is also made in America. Mine are only going to cost $150-$200 for front and rear with shackle mounts and shackles. The catch is I have to build them myself!

I am an american manufacturer.....

there are wayyyy too many layers, each one requiring a chapter to a thousand page expose', in order to debate this on a jeep forum

you make it sound like the manufacturer in question just picked the price just to rip you off.

I agree, the price is high, but theres more to it than meets the eye.

You simply cannot use that particular example to make a commentary on american manufacturing vs. the oversean market as you've done.

you wanna keep manufacturing jobs in america? then stay out of walmart.

Beezil said:
I am an american manufacturer.....

there are wayyyy too many layers, each one requiring a chapter to a thousand page expose', in order to debate this on a jeep forum

you make it sound like the manufacturer in question just picked the price just to rip you off.

I agree, the price is high, but theres more to it than meets the eye.

You simply cannot use that particular example to make a commentary on american manufacturing vs. the oversean market as you've done.

True, and I understand your comment and for the most part, I agree with your statement Beezil. Of course there are many layers/decisions into making a product or service, I simply pointed out an example... a snapshot albeit a small one. I honestly do want them to succeed as a business, when they are reasonable. If they made the wrong business decision/choices... ie. expensive materials, or expensive labor, or whatever, then that is their choice. But don't expect us to pay for their "mistakes" to recoup their initial investment and make a profit and expect us to be a repeat buyer and have us spread the word as a good manufacturer. Remember the law of supply and demand. I know it is hard... very hard to be loyal when a lot of people or businesses charging a lot of money when the service or product is virtually the same with another, but the price difference... shall we say "is not in the ballpark". Other American manufacters are doing/making bumpers that are also of high quality AND being competitive in pricing, so however I do not think I made such a broad statement in American made product versus foreign made products, so if I mislead you in that thinking I do apologize, sometimes I don't make myself clear enough. :laugh3:

no, I'm right there with ya....I don't get thier price either

I've never seen that particular one up close, but I could probably make that bumper for 325-375 powdercoated, FOB chicago, shipped un boxed.

but I'd have to make 100 of them!

I could probably make that bumper for 225-250.....

but I'd have to make 1000 of them.

My guess is that thier manufactured quantity is small, and they outsource things like laser-cutting (if that applies to that design) and they're trying to recoup their start-up within the first run, and not waiting to for the reorder to break even.....

seems dangerous to do, but the funny thing is, plenty of jackasses will buy that thing at that price

Beezil said:
:patriot:

Beezil said:
Amen. Wrote a thesis on the business model of Walmart and their positioning. Talk about a great business model from a Dollar standpoint, horrible from the Moral standpoint. You see some of the destruction it has caused in the South.

Markm80521 said:
Amen. Wrote a thesis on the business model of Walmart and their positioning. Talk about a great business model from a Dollar standpoint, horrible from the Moral standpoint. You see some of the destruction it has caused in the South.

dang right, others like supertarget, k-mart is somewhat better(RIP)they kinda coexisted with the little guy for years, but walmart/superwalmart is the king of the heap. If you wanna support the little guy, mom and pop stores and true-value and the like, they are hurting for your business. Sure they cost more, they represent service and knowledge and contribute to the community, now isn't that worth the money? I guess not... to most of us who doesn't want to save a buck or two. I am no different, but where are they? So I am forced to go to buy Walmart stuff, when the little guy is closed up shop or too freaking far to go and patronize. Walmart just takes your money and says "up yours" even though they are cheaper than everyone else, because of greater buying power over the little guy and undercut them in price in such a way that they can't sustain a profitable business. And we take "it", crappy service, shoddy products and the lists goes on and on. All the little mom and pop stores are forced to close up shop and are being forced out of these towns or simply give up and join the dark side with Walmart and get a job there. That is for the most part... the destruction of the community, we lost our identity. sorry ranting too much. I hope everyone can understand what I am saying. ok 'nuff said, somebody lock this thread up please. this is way off target for a XJ forum, if you wanna yap:yap:, just PM me.

the US economy cannot support its citizens demand on higher standard of living and wage increase if amercians are going to spend their money on in the "large volume/power buying/overseas import" market.

you work hard for your money, you hafta "spend hard".....I know how easy it is to go to walmart and get everything done in one shot, and i know how hard it is to do smalltime "single purpose" shopping going from one store to the other, especially in less urban areas, but its our responsibility as americans to adapt, and to support independant business owners.

places like walmart are simply evil, and the bait is "convinience" and the camoflage is the american flag they're waving. It makes me sick anytime i pass by a walmart with a packed parking lot. Thanks god we don't have those things in the city of chicago, where independant shops reign supreme.

Bomb walmart

I was reading somewhere online that a few different toy mfg's are greatly reducing the quantities they are making available for purchase by Wal-Mart this christmas in order to give the sales to places like Toys R Us, as well as to increase their profit margins since Wal-Mart is noted for low balling.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on what side you are looking from US made goods are being purchased more and more because the value of the dollar has decreased so much.Thus reducing the purchasing power we have on imported goods, and strengthening our economy. Hell last month 112,000 new jobs were created!

Hunter

What is even worse is what you don't see. Walmart got it's foothold in the american economy from a business model designed to be predatory on small southern towns. The idea simple, motive purely capitalistic. Setup shops just outside a small town's incorporated line. Small enough so that people can still get to you, but outside so you don't pay taxes.

Pricing model unique to local store owners reduction. They set the profit margins. They sell an item for 3 you sell for 2.75. Their profit $1.50, yours $2.00. You get the idea. "WERE ROLLING BACK PRICES EVERYDAY" ... finish the sentence... to continually undercut the local shops who haven't the suppliers and volume to compete by price.

In addition to price setting you also salary set. Salaries are set in the smae way were you allow the stores (locals who again don't have the profit margin to compete with salary) to set the compensation rates. Soon locals not only lose customers but employees.

The part about this really burns me is the whole time it's the Local shop that pays the city taxes. So many small towns that I have driven through that the local stores look like they are selling plywood because that is all you see in the window. Market pressures such as these are what force smaller mom and pops to specialize and become more novelty than necessity. Eventually our citiscape is standardized and there is nothing to differentiate One town from the other.

But hey, all in the name of saving a couple of bucks right? Everything and everyone is for sale these days.:doh:

Beezil said:
the US economy cannot support its citizens demand on higher standard of living and wage increase if amercians are going to spend their money on in the "large volume/power buying/overseas import" market.

you work hard for your money, you hafta "spend hard".....I know how easy it is to go to walmart and get everything done in one shot, and i know how hard it is to do smalltime "single purpose" shopping going from one store to the other, especially in less urban areas, but its our responsibility as americans to adapt, and to support independant business owners.

places like walmart are simply evil, and the bait is "convinience" and the camoflage is the american flag they're waving. It makes me sick anytime i pass by a walmart with a packed parking lot. Thanks god we don't have those things in the city of chicago, where independant shops reign supreme.

Bomb walmart

FYI - KB Toys is calling it quits. Going out.

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
I was reading somewhere online that a few different toy mfg's are greatly reducing the quantities they are making available for purchase by Wal-Mart this christmas in order to give the sales to places like Toys R Us, as well as to increase their profit margins since Wal-Mart is noted for low balling.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on what side you are looking from US made goods are being purchased more and more because the value of the dollar has decreased so much.Thus reducing the purchasing power we have on imported goods, and strengthening our economy. Hell last month 112,000 new jobs were created!

Hunter

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
Hell last month 112,000 new jobs were created!

I have a feeling if you looked at the jobs created vs jobs lost from a trade and pay stand point you would find a whole lot of "Walmart" part time min wage jobs were created while high paying technical jobs were lost to offshore "outsourcing"

Quality not quanity as my mom used to say.

John {hasn't shopped at Walmart in 7 years- you can do it to}

Johann said:
I have a feeling if you looked at the jobs created vs jobs lost from a trade and pay stand point you would find a whole lot of "Walmart" part time min wage jobs were created while high paying technical jobs were lost to offshore "outsourcing"

Quality not quanity as my mom used to say.

John {hasn't shopped at Walmart in 7 years- you can do it to}

well once again its all from your perspective. it sucks when people lose their jobs to technology and off-shore outsourcing. however for every 10 jobs lost to technology 12 jobs are created, granted its not an easy transition for some but in the long run the work force and economy is better as a whole because of it. Not just because of increased technological training but also because of inovation.

Hunter

I run into the 'walmart' model every day only I run into it from Dell and gateway. I build better systems, refuse to use cheap components if it has my name on it, build em heavey duty enough that I don't have to fix hardware problems. People still buy $400 computers then get suprised when they end up spending alot more in frustration and downtime. I have a small clientle that is growing that have me build their systems but it's a really slow process. Even if I used cheap components I can't compete with the price line MS gives those big boys which is why I would like to see a few small business apps for linux like quicken.

Back