• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK Boys and or Girls time for a fuel pump swap ?

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
OK anybody, I have now in my hot little hands a new fuel pump for my 89 XJ. The old one is really going bad. No pressure, slow to start, ect. I am thinking of doing the swap myself. Are there and things I need to look out for? Do I need to drop the tank? Are there any right-ups on this? Any advice is welocome.

jeepguy97 said:
Yeppers on the tank drop. Don't smoke :flame: Can't think of anything else.

What he said, if you smoke, kick the habit for 3 hours. But...I didn't have to drop my tank when I swapped my pump on my 91. ?? A Haynes manual is your friend.

EDIT: Just browsed my Haynes manual.

The following procedure requires the removal of the fuel tank for 1988 and earlier models.

Last edited:
TroyAndEddie said:
What he said, if you smoke, kick the habit for 3 hours. But...I didn't have to drop my tank when I swapped my pump on my 91. ?? A Haynes manual is your friend.

What he said. You won't need to drop the tank on an 88. My bad.

You do not have to drop the tank on an 89. The access and install hole is on the front side of the tank. You can do it w. tank at 1/4 from empty. I have done it twice over the years on my 4.0 89. Do not use an aftermarket pump since it usually does not perform fully to spec. I made that mistake and mine would stall out when cornering medium hard w. 1/4 tank of fuel. I replace the aftermarket pump w. an oem bosch pump. Search the web for good prices on an oem pump. Try quadratech.com etc. Last time I did the job on my back in the driveway is took about 1 hr. Good Luck. Greg

do not drop the tank

use only a brass punch to loosen the ring

use only a factory fuel pump

be very very careful

replace the fuel filter at the same time

You do not have to drop the tank. It is kind of tricky to get the pump in with the tank in place, but it can definitely be done. You'll have little problem getting the old one out. Use a brass or aluminum punch on the clamping ring. You may need more than one length of punch to get it, because the axle is in the way, but that part is easy.

I would also advise getting a new O-ring for the sender unit. The old one is probably flattened, and may also have rust and crud on it. Make sure that when you get the old unit out, you also get the rubber plug that goes on the bottom end of it. Make sure that plug is on it, and stays on it, when you insert the unit again. When you reinstall it it may be rather difficult to get the whole thing seated right. That rubber plug seats in a fitted recess in the bottom of the tank. You have to put it in a little high, then kind of tilt it in and down. You'll know when it's right, because the flange will obviously fit correctly in the hole. It may take several tries. Don't force. If it doesn't line up right, it's not in right. It's harder if there's gas left in the tank. It may also take more than one try to get the (*****ing) O-ring seated correctly behind the sender flange, and all three ears of the locking ring engaged at once. A little grease here helps.

Having done it once with the tank in, I have promised that next time I do it I'll drop the tank. With the tank on the ground, you can get the sender seated in about 20 seconds. If you live in a rust-prone area, it's probably not a bad idea to drop the tank every few years to clean off the accumulated salty mud that eats holes in the top.

actually if you jack up the XJ and set it on jack stand with axle will not be in the way, I have replaced at least 10 with the fuel cell in and 2 with it dropped it is much easier with it in!

When I got my XJ I thought my fuel pump was shot as well. I pulled the pump out and instanly noticed that the fuel hose on the pump was loose ! I tightend it down and reinstalled. Lowered the XJ.. and started her up ! and she was good to go ! Pressure was back and everything was fine. The pump looked like the original and the XJ had 203K miles. Ive heard others having this same thing happen to them.. make sure you dont need a new pump.

Dan

Back