• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Town XJ's 2 Door Build

Finally got around to installing my visionX tantrum rock lights

CIMG1168.jpg

I won a bid on ebay for 10 1" earth magnets
CIMG1170.jpg

I scuffed up the back of the lights and the magnets with some 80 grit sand paper
CIMG1171.jpg

Then I epoxied them together with some West systems epoxy resin (It's all I had lying around)
CIMG1172.jpg

CIMG1173.jpg

All wired up! These things actually put out a decent amount of light, I just couldn't get a real good picture with my shity shop camera
CIMG1180.jpg

The next project, a 2-Din Nav system that works with topo maps!
First up was the 2Din console I got from P1atinum and he did an amazing job on it! Looks completely factory.
Here's P1atinum's 2Din console build thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024604

Stock Console on the left and the 2Din console on the right
CIMG1192.jpg

After researching different Nav setups for awhile, I realized a higher end Kenwood is the best choice. The main reason for a running a Kenwood is Garmin makes the GPS system for them and they can be loaded with any maps that work for Garmin GPS's. The Kenwood receiver function almost identical to the Nuvi GPS, which means you can connect to mapsource/basecamp and load and save your different routes or points.

I ended up getting a used Kenwood DNX8120 off a guy on Kijiji cheap! http://www.crutchfield.com/S-E7PWWvZaRT4/p_113DNX8120/Kenwood-Excelon-DNX8120.html
I also bought a back-up camera, sirius module and a Iphone hook up for it
CIMG1194.jpg

Removing my old deck and dash kit
CIMG1186.jpg

CIMG1187.jpg

A little work is required for a double din receiver to actual fit behind the console. First you need to remove the brace underneath the heater vents, I used an air saw and a dremel to remove it. You can see in the picture where I had to cut
CIMG1195.jpg

After I cut it out I had to seal up were I cut, because the brace was actually to pieces sandwiched together.
CIMG1198.jpg

Next I ground down two ledges about 1/2" so the receiver had something to support its weight
CIMG1196.jpg

CIMG1197.jpg

After that all I had to do was wire up the receiver and install receiver
CIMG1202.jpg

CIMG1200.jpg

CIMG1199.jpg

subscribed.

How are the vision x rocklights hanging in on the magnets?

Its been awhile since I've updated this thread. The Jeeps been parked all summer, as I've been too busy. When I wasn't working, I was at the lake all summer.

I've started working on the Jeep again, I've ripped out my 1 ton inverted-t steering and I'm replacing it with a crossover setup. I hope to have it back on the road before next weekend.

Back