• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil problems

rumrunner110 said:
I'm having the exact same problems, and I can't offer any solutions. I have a 2001 4.0 with 80K miles. The oil press. gauge drops to zero when I come to a stop, then goes back up when I drive off. Tried a new oil pressure sensor with no change. Using heavier weight oil did prevent it from dropping to zero, but it was just above zero. There's only a limited # of reasons why this would be happening, one or a combination of the following: bearing wear, gauge, gauge wiring/ground, pressure sending unit...once you're sure it's not your instruments, you can then be reasonably assured it's your bearings
As far as coolant, I fill the reservoir from nearly empty to the "full" line every 3-400 miles. Changed the water pump and some fittings and hoses to no avail. I'll let you know if I find anything that will help.

If you cannot see coolant somewhere in your engine bay, or better yet a puddle under your rig, it's most likely you are consuming it through the engine (read: head crack or blown gasket) or, maybe, it's somehow leaking onto your exhaust manifold and burning before it could leak onto the ground...(vaguely possible, but not likely)

Blaine B. said:
I meant to say all oil filters aren't alike. Typo!
LOL Since you brought up the Frams Blaine, I thought as much.

Some people do think all Oil Filters are alike, because they're is about 3 factories that make them. Each brand simply contracts the factory to make theirs and paint their color and logo on the filter.

BUT, they can specify exactly what the factory is too use.

So, you can get two different brands of filters that are exactly the same and you can get two different brands of filters that are exactly the same except a few parts or features are different.

In the case of FRAM, they use Cardboard End-Caps for the Filter Element. Sadly, I think they are the only one, while everyone else uses metal. Not only is the cardboard far more likely to burst or come apart and circulate in the oil and motor, but probably more damaging is the "ANTI-DRAINBACK" Valve seals against the end-caps of the filter element. Rubber/Silicone/Nitrol does NOT seal nearly as well with cardboard as it does with metal. Many FRAM users end up starting their motors dry all the time, with the oil that should have been trapped in the motor, having drained back into the pan.

Back