• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OIL PRESSURE PROBLEMS

You should have at least 37 psi by 1600 RPM. At highway speeds you should be getting 40-50 on the gauge.

Try it and see.

Just because a motor has over 100,000 or 200,000 miles does not mean it should be worn enough to need thicker oil. Mine has 324,000 and runs just fine. Oil pressure is not any different than when I bought it 10 years ago, as far as I can tell.

I'm running 20W50 and you can see where my oil pressure is. Search the forums, this one and google, there are tons of people with 97+ XJs with this issue. Just start saving for a used engine and when a good deal for a low mileage one comes up buy it. You have plenty of time. Mine has been like that for years.

You have to remove the oil pan to get and the mains. And then you have to remove the cam which means the front of the Jeep has to come off since the fan, radiator, and everything in front of it is in the way. Sometimes it is easier to remove everything nearby than to work around it.

I replaced the oil pump with a high volume oil pump. Stock oil pump did have some wear on the outer plate from the gears turnining. It only increased my pressure oil pressure by 10 p.s.i. But at least the idiot light is not on anymore. The engine is sludge free from my seaform. It was at the bottom of the pan. Pulled the valve cover off and it was all clean.

Back