• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure issue

Factory speedo, tach, oil pressure, temperature, volts, gas level. But a tach is actually useless on an XJ. No point in going past 4K rpms anyway.

Spoil sport! :D :D :D

I read that a cheap oil filter can collapse and cause bad oil pressure.. I'm curious if maybe this is my issue. I used the cheapest oil filter I carry.. the brand is Champ. I already took the valve cover off. I think I might replace that gasket and install a new filter and oil to see if that solves my low oil pressure problem before replacing the pump.

If you want input from the forum, you need to post the actual pressures at various engine speeds. Of course it helps to have a tach to assist with this along with tracking idle speed, shift points, etc. Sadly, many of us don't have a fancy scan gauge or garage full of expensive diagnostic equipment and have to, gasp, depend on the useless tach in the gauge cluster.

If you want input from the forum, you need to post the actual pressures at various engine speeds. Of course it helps to have a tach to assist with this along with tracking idle speed, shift points, etc. Sadly, many of us don't have a fancy scan gauge or garage full of expensive diagnostic equipment and have to, gasp, depend on the useless tach in the gauge cluster.

Yep, unfortunately I do not have a tach. I have the old crappy "Sport" instrument cluster. Surprisingly they did provide a speedometer and fuel gauge :D

Replaced the valve cover gasket today.. this is the nastiest engine I've ever seen. Everything is completely caked in hardened oil. I decided to hold off on the oil pump as I started thinking it could be the bearings. Once I manage to get the oil filter off.. yes it's that tight and I don't remember putting it on that tight, I'm going to rent an oil pressure gauge tomorrow so I can see just what I'm dealing with.

Pretty nasty..

Reminds me of the engines that used to run non-detergent oils.

I don't envy you having to deal with that mess, and anything you try and do could make things worse.

Whatever you try and do there exists the possibility that some crud could break loose and plug up an oil passage.

I would try running some Rotella 10w30 to see if you can clean the crud out slowly.

Your other option would be some kind of engine flush to try and get it cleaned quicker.

Either way is a crap shoot, and while Seafoam or adding a quart of ATF to the crankcase would be faster, I think slower would be better in this case.

Man thats nastier than engines i have seen in salvage yards that havent been started in years..how many miles does it have?

179k and sat for 1.5 years before I bought it. Just did an oil change 2 months ago and the oil was already black.. Not gonna sink much money into this thing..

Ok, replaced my valve cover gasket but it appears as if I still have a leak. Maybe the rear main seal? Dunno yet.

Anyway, used a Purolater filter and some regular 10w30 and so far there is no oil light. Only put a few miles on it so far though so we'll see if it comes back.

Drove out to Autozone and they claim they no longer rent tools so I could not pick up an oil gauge. Harbor freight has one for $20 so I'll probably get that, or add an external gauge mounted to my dash, possibly both..

Driven it about 40 miles now and still not even a flicker from the oil light.. maybe it was the filter causing an issue.. dunno but hopefully it's resolved..

I have the same issue with low pressure and when I'm wheeling sometimes my pressure doesn't come up for a while when I shut it off. I've replaced valve cover gasket and the oil filter adapter o-ring kit and now no leaks with pressure getting better. Still haven't taken it out wheeling since all leaks were fixed.:paperwork

Ok, replaced my valve cover gasket but it appears as if I still have a leak. Maybe the rear main seal? Dunno yet.

Anyway, used a Purolater filter and some regular 10w30 and so far there is no oil light. Only put a few miles on it so far though so we'll see if it comes back.

Drove out to Autozone and they claim they no longer rent tools so I could not pick up an oil gauge. Harbor freight has one for $20 so I'll probably get that, or add an external gauge mounted to my dash, possibly both..

Autozone has mechanical gauges for sale for $14.99. Buy one and install it.

Driven it about 40 miles now and still not even a flicker from the oil light.. maybe it was the filter causing an issue.. dunno but hopefully it's resolved..

Based on the inside of that engine, you probably plugged that old filter. I'd be changing filters often in that.

Back