• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter...

ryderxxxmc

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

Before everyone freaks out and says this is in the wrong place, i put it here b/c it doesn't pertain directly to XJs and last time something i posted didn't pertain directly to that everyone freaked.

Just wondering what type of oil filters you guys use. I'm looking for something to use with synthetics (5k change timeframe) as well as something to use w/ the standard dyno (3k change timeframe).

I currently use all Fram stuff but I've heard that its crappy and there are better options out there. Just incase you want to know I'm working on a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L, an 89 YJ, a 94 XJ.

i use napa golds in everything mostly because I get a discount but they also seem to do the job pretty well. I use mobile 1 in the wifes truck and the tow vehicle and go about 7,000 with relitivly clean oil but both have less than 50,000 miles on them

Dealer filters are the best in my opinion. One for my XJ was 5 dollars, not too bad campared to others. When you hold the mopar filter it feels a lot heavier than a filter from a parts store like fram or purolator. I could be wrong but that just makes me feel like its made better.

NAPA Gold. They are made by Wix. JIM.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Dealer filters are the best in my opinion. One for my XJ was 5 dollars, not too bad campared to others. When you hold the mopar filter it feels a lot heavier than a filter from a parts store like fram or purolator. I could be wrong but that just makes me feel like its made better.
Me too, case of Mopar filters on the shelf.

I use Napa Gold also. They are the same filter as Hasting, WIX or Baldwin. For 5K they will be fine. I've run 10K on them in a 96 Ford Contour. 160K with synthetics since 20K. Uses 1/2quart in 9K. Motor clean. Mobil 1 filter is supose to be the best out there, but its $10. Maybe if your running 10K+ oil changes. I've heard to change the filter at 5K intervals if running extended Oil Changes.
Tom

Napa GOLD for me. Can usually get them for about $5-6 and havent had a single problem out of them yet.

I get Wix from a local Parts Master store under its own name, usually. But I've also had good luck with Bosch and K&N. All three of these will give a little bit better pressure than the cheapest generic filters, and I've sawed some open, and they do actually have more pleats, and better material in them. I don't usually bother with the K&N, because they're so expensive, but they're good.

I used Fram until I read a study a guy did on about twenty different filters. Cannot remember the web site. The one that stood out the most was Baldwin being the better. Since switching I have gotten between fifteen and twenty pounds of oil pressure that the Fram filter was robbing me of. I have been using Baldwin on both my jeep and the wifes car for over a year now with no problems.

Kim.

I am running the WIX brand filters, and have noticed an increase in oil press., especially when at operating temp- the motor nows stays around 20-25 lbs/press., when I was using the Fram, the oil press. was LUCKY to stay above "0" on the gauge. Overall, very pleased, and the WIX is not much more than the Fram. I am also using Castrol in the motors, since they are getting up there in mileage (lowest mileage is on the '88 limited-238,489).

85xjwoody said:
I used Fram until I read a study a guy did on about twenty different filters. Cannot remember the web site. The one that stood out the most was Baldwin being the better. Since switching I have gotten between fifteen and twenty pounds of oil pressure that the Fram filter was robbing me of. I have been using Baldwin on both my jeep and the wifes car for over a year now with no problems.

Kim.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Back