• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil diagram

grundan

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone have a oiling diagram of the 87/4.0
my haynes manual does not have it, also searched.
I'm about to pull the head tonite on this 87, it is not oiling on any of the cylinders (top side/pushrods/rockers). engine runs quite, 40+ lbs oil pressure
drained the oil last week and poured 5 gallons of kerosene in the engine via the valve cover. let it sit a day, turned the engine over with the coil wire off.
drained kerosene filled with oil and new filter....nada
still no oil thru pushrods
btw, I have replaced 2 rocker arms and pulled all the pushrods and cleaned them thoroughly before the kero treatment.
I hate to tear down this motor and rebuild it for a blocked oil passage.
any more tips ? TIA

Sounds like time to pull that lifter. Other than pouring an ounce or two of lacquer thinner down on top of the lifter and leaving it a day to see if it clears up, its time to start yanking the head. Once the head is off, pull the offending lifter, pull the distributor, turn the oil pump with a drill. If you don't see oil squirting into the lifter bore, you have a plugged block, otherwise you have a shot lifter. Disassemble the lifter and clean. New lifter on old cam can be a problem.

Back