• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off-Road

NAXJA Forum User
I got my 1990 XJ 4.0L Renix Last Summer. It Has a 3" Lift With 31" Tires. I have used it for minor off-roading. I was wondering how well my jeep will do climbing over some bigger rocks, and rougher trails. I don't plan on doing any really advanced trails, more like medium level trails. I live in Utah, and we have a lot of cool terrain I'm ready to check out this summer. Just a couple questions. I don't really plan on climing through the mud. I have A/T tires, would it climb better with an M/T? Should I consider a winch for the less advanced trails? Do the rear leaf springs still handle trails pretty well? I know coil springs would be better. Basically how much abuse can my Jeep take the way it is now?

All A/T and M/T tires are not created equal. What make/model of A/T?

What kind of terrain? Rocks, sand, mud, granite boulders?

The driver's skill and experience are large parts of a successful trip. Best to try and go with friends that have more experience.

A winch is a good tool, when used properly, or it can be a dangerous accessory when not.

How much abuse can it take? Not much. Take care of it and it will try its best to bring you home.

Liked the topic as I will soon be the owner of a 91 with similar equipment. I have to agree with the above post. Driver choice and proper gas pedal use go a long way in making a Jeep "survive". You won't be able to run with the big dogs but you can hsve just as much fun. The driver having the most fun is the best driver any day. Even better if he doesn't break his Jeep.

While it's true that you won't be able to follow those on much bigger tires (mainly because of ground clearance issues) a Jeep even on 31's is very capable. My first suggestion would be to put a locker in at least one axle. That will make a world of difference!

With just one locker and 31's you'll be able to tackle a lot. I would still suggest M/T's, though.
You'll still have to choose your lines carefully because of your lack of ground clearance, and don't get carried away with the throttle, especially on rocks, and you'll be surprised what your jeep can do!

Have fun!

Back