• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM ECU Questions

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
What is the "brand" (i.e Bosch Motronic, etc.) of the ECU in a 98 xj with the 4.0. Has the california emissions package as well. Anyone know how to hack into it? Any dtc checking programs (I've asked before but cant remember where). Kinda vague but any help is great.

1998 - late Chrysler.

I'd say either Bosch or Motorola for manufacturer, if ChryCo didn't do it themselves. Hate to tell you this, but the best way to find out is to open the case and check the board - it should be screen-printed on the board itself.

I've talked to a few people about cracking and flashing the ChryCo ECU - the reason it isn't done anywhere near as much as GM or Ford is because, while GM and Ford will sell you the software outright, ChryCo licenses it to you for a year, and charges you about twice as much for the annual license as the purchase through GM or Ford. Of course, that may change, now that Dr. Z doesn't own ChryCo anymore.

Are there programmes? OEM, sure. Aftermarket, probably.

Since most of the ECUs are fairly standard with brands and timeframe, and the "personality" is conferred by the blown PROM, what you're trying to do may be a matter of disassembling the code on the PROM and blowing a new one. What exactly are you trying to do? Decoding a PROM and blowing a new one is an option, but there may be easier ways to go about it.

yea, in a GM vehicle there is a table where you can uncheck boxes to enable or disable the CEL, I am not sure that it is even an option on Jeeps.

my guess is downstream o2
Good guess, but I keep cats unless some other people on the board. ;)

My problem is the NSS, been the bain of the existence of this jeep since as long as I can remember. The new sensor (as of two years ago) is stuck on there now and isn't coming off. I'm not going to get a new one or one from the jy, couldn't find any for who knows how long and don't have time to hop around junkyards. Not gonna trust ebay, etc ,etc. I've had it set to be in park all the time so it'll start and I'll fail inspection without the reverse lights and the dtc for it. It's usually a p1899 or something like that, maybe p0702 I can't remember. I was planning to wire in a reverse light switch but haven't gotten around to it. Any ideas?

I wish I could hook up my vagcom to it. :wierd:

Did you try cleaning the NSS switch?
Yeah over two years ago and it broke into a bunch of pieces. Bought new one two years ago, installed...worked for a little while then it stopped working. Last year I ghetto rigged it to work for park, "reverse", and drive so no code, etc etc. This year is going to be a little more interesting I guess.

And for all you vw guys with vagcom, it does in fact work with the vagcom cable so you can reset codes (can't perm delete them but still). Oh, and you can datalog. :cheers:

Once I get the sticker and such I'll have to do some datalogging such as timing curves, map, load, etc etc. If only I could figure out how to use hexedit....

Let us know what you find.
Just as a little update, still got the cherokee to pass inspection without the NSS hooked up. Just had to do it the radio shack way. VAG-COM lets you read readiness and all that so you can know if you'll pass/fail before hand. I tried doing some logging in it but I had the same problem as with the scangauge. It seems whenever you go WOT, and therefore open loop, the obd2 readers go nuts. It's as if when you go WOT that the ecu doesnt let anyone else know what's happening. Maybe next weekend I'll have to get around to some normal driving logging, but where's the fun in that? I still haven't figured out which ecu it was, but i wish it was bosch.

Back